This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6042 / 55°36'15"N
Longitude: -4.4974 / 4°29'50"W
OS Eastings: 242767
OS Northings: 637339
OS Grid: NS427373
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MYHB
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.WDKL
Entry Name: 141 - 145 (Odd Numbers) Titchfield Street and Douglas Street
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396280
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48788
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular, converted classical dwelling house on corner site; 2-storey, 2-bay wing adjoining to rear. Coursed rubble, harled and painted. Painted long and short quoins to corner angle. Base and eaves course. Skew gabled with plain putts.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centrally placed door leading to 1st floor accommodation. Shop to left: central door with similar height squared window to flanks. Shop to right: door to left with similar height single window to right. 3 regularly placed bays to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: gable to left: later squared shop window to ground floor left, advertising hoarding above to cornice; smaller original window to 1st floor left, blind to rest of gable. Side of rear gable to right: low door to ground floor left, semi-blind window to right, window to 1st floor right.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
S ELEVATION: adjoining the Tudor Inn, 147 Titchfield Street.
Replacement single pane windows with false astragals. Later 16-pane timber shop windows to ground floor retail units, metal roller security shutters to newsagent shop. Piended grey slate roof; metal ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, shared down pipe with the Tudor Inn and downpipe to Douglas Street elevation. Painted brick stack to N gablehead, projecting brick neck copes, pair of rounded plain cans.
INTERIOR: ground floor now updated to form 2 modern shop premises; 1st floor still residential, accessed from central door, not seen, 2001.
Titchfield Street was laid out in 1765 and links The Cross to Glencairn square. This building is one of the older properties on Titchfield Street, the early maps show this site was build on from the very beginning of the 19th century. The Plan of the Town of Kilmarnock (1819) shows the corner site properties as being owned by H & J Brown. This building was likely to have been primarily for dwelling with maybe a small shop to ground floor. Photographic evidence shows it has 8-pane lying-pane timber sash and case windows. The area has been redeveloped over the years so this low 2-storey building remains as a rare survivor in a redeveloped street.
Other nearby listed buildings