This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6117 / 55°36'42"N
Longitude: -4.4978 / 4°29'52"W
OS Eastings: 242771
OS Northings: 638180
OS Grid: NS427381
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MJM8
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.W6CS
Plus Code: 9C7QJG62+MV
Entry Name: 13 - 15 (Odd Numbers) West George Street
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396285
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48793
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Possibly J & RS Ingram, circa 1875. 3-storey, Beaux-Arts gushet office building with octagonal tower roof. Coursed polished ashlar. Rusticated ground floor, pilasters and columns flanking principal windows. Architraved window and door surrounds. Corniced parapet surmounting eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-storey, 4-bay, adjoining canted corner elevation to left. To 4th bay: pilastered surround flanking architraved arched door, bearded mask keystone with carved floriate spandrels, ornate scrolled brackets flanking supporting segmental pediment, window to flanks; giant outer pilasters to full height of building; tripartite window above door to 1st and 2nd floor, scroll bracketed baloconette dividing windows. To bays 1-3, rectangular windows with rusticated pilasters flanking; projecting cornice incorporating upper floor column plinths and rectangular architraved lintels to 1st floor; scroll bracketed balconette dividing windows to 1st and 2nd floor. Full length corniced parapet resting on capitals surmounting.
NW ELEVATION: plainer elevation with 2 regularly placed bays to each floor.
E ELEVATION: canted 4-sided end: arched windows to bays 1, 2 & 4 of ground floor, former architraved doorway, now window to 3rd bay: pilastered surround flanking architraved arched door, bearded mask keystone with carved floreate spandrels, ornate scrolled brackets flanking supporting segmental pediment. 4 regularly placed bays to 1st and 2nd floor, alternate pilaster and column flanking windows; to 1st floor, scrolls supporting rectangular corniced pediments forming sills of upper storey windows; corniced parapet resting on capitals. Octagonal platformed roof with projecting copper cornice surmounting.
2-pane timber sash and case windows, some upper sashes with horns; to ground floor of S elevation 4-pane timber windows, fixed plate glass pane to lower light, 3 horizontally placed panes to upper fixed light; 2-pane arched windows to ground floor end bays. Timber panelled door to entrance, arched multi-paned fanlight surmounting. Piended grey slate roof, partially concealed by parapet; octagonal piended and platformed roof to arched end bay, projecting copper cornice surmounting. Metal ridging, flashings and valleys. Cast-iron rainwater goods, gutter concealed behind parapet, draining into downpipe shared with Expo, the building adjacent. Coursed dressed ashlar stack to E gable, projecting ashlar neck copes and 5 tall octagonal cans; pair of similar smaller wallhead stacks with single can to N.
INTERIOR: now converted to offices: some cornicing, timber skirting boards and panelled door, timber dividers still existing.
This building is a former public house. Originally, there was an entrance on the more prominent corner elevation where the segmental pediment is sited. The ornate front elevations faced the major streets and also it is one of the first building travellers see when alighting the train at the Railway Station. The main elevation originally had vase style decoration surmounting the engaged columns and pilasters. No.13 West George Street became home to the local architectural practice of James Hay (formerly of 60 Bank Street) after World War I. By 1929, James Hay & Partners were noted as working from the building and by 1933, Hay & Steel were the named architects. 1951 saw Hay & Steel still in practise at No.13, but Gabriel Steel was also listed as working independently from No.15 West George Street. By 1976, the firm was still in existence at No. 13 - under the name Hay, Steel, Macfarlane & Partners. Nowadays, the firm has moved to Ayr.
Other nearby listed buildings