This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0555 / 56°3'19"N
Longitude: -3.6278 / 3°37'40"W
OS Eastings: 298722
OS Northings: 685931
OS Grid: NS987859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDY2
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.72Q3
Plus Code: 9C8R394C+5V
Entry Name: Culross, Back Street, Stephen Memorial Hall
Listing Date: 2 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396293
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48799
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
1883. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan hall. Tooled snecked ashlar. Droved, chamfered ashlar long and short quoins to window and door surrounds. Decorative doorpiece with dated gablet. Sloping head to advanced base course. Modern rear lean-to extension.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation; central door; moulded, chamfered, curved, flat-arch to doorpiece and fanlight. Chamfered pointed arch above; monogram of 'W A S' below and 'STEPHEN MEMORIAL HALL'. Advanced hoodmould; decorative label stops. Corniced gablet above door; chamfered stone set within, dated 'A.D. 1883'. Cross within circle finial to pediment. Tall tripartite windows flank door; chamfered stone mullions.
W ELEVATION: central tripartite window; taller central window. Pointed ashlar arched stonework above. Rectangular louvred opening above. Lean-to to left; timber boarded door to right.
N ELEVATION: 7 windows to rear.
W ELEVATION: attached to Little Sandhaven.
8 panes to each window; central top 2 panes tilt open. Modern fenestration to rear. Timber panelled 2-leaf door. Pitched slate roof; crowstepped skews to S facing E gable shared with Little Sandhaven; arch within skewputt. Raised, flat skews elsewhere; swept skewputts to W; slightly swept roof to S. Roll finial to W gable. Corniced gable apex stack to E. Corniced brick wallhead stack to rear (between hall and extension); swept shoulders; circular can.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
Built as a Sunday school (at a cost of ?500) for the adjacent Free Church (now Cunninghame House, see separate list) and named after Rev W Stephen, a church elder. The building complements the nearby Cunninghame House and replaces an earlier rectangular-plan building, which is depicted on the 1860 map.
Other nearby listed buildings