This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0553 / 56°3'19"N
Longitude: -3.6288 / 3°37'43"W
OS Eastings: 298660
OS Northings: 685915
OS Grid: NS986859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDQK
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.7277
Plus Code: 9C8R394C+4F
Entry Name: Culross, 7 Mid Causeway, Bishop Leighton's House
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396302
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48815
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Early 17th century. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay house; 1? storey, 2-bay section to SW. Harled; chamfered stone surrounds.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door off centre to right; flanking window to right. Small inset section to right of door; National Trust of Scotland (NTS) plaque. Window to left of door; window (former door) to far left. 4 1st floor windows aligned above ground floor windows and door. Small window between 2nd and 3rd bay. 2nd bay window within partly jettied section. 1? storey section to right; 2 ground floor windows (former door to left); central upper floor window hugging eaves (blocked). Threshold step forms bridge over street drain.
E ELEVATION: attached to 5 Mid Causeway
S ELEVATION: central door; stone niche above door. Flanking single ground floor windows. 3 1st floor windows hugging eaves. Window to 1? storey section to left; smaller window to right.
W ELEVATION: 2 attic windows. Lower wing attached to 9 Mid Causeway.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded doors (studded to front door). Pitched roof; crowstepped gable to W. Clay pantiles. Corniced W gable apex stack; 2 corniced ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: modern interior. Stairs opposite entrance door; moulded stone steps.
7 Mid Causeway and the adjacent No 5 have been reconstructed out of 3 houses although originally they may have been a single dwelling. Archbishop Leighton is said to have stayed here during the time that he was Bishop of Dunblane, 1661-1669. The moulded stone steps appear to be a Culross feature and can also be found at The Nunnery and 7 The Cross. A bulge remains at the top of the steps; perhaps the remains of former stairs which led up to an extra storey. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings