This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6189 / 56°37'8"N
Longitude: -3.8681 / 3°52'5"W
OS Eastings: 285460
OS Northings: 749010
OS Grid: NN854490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT7.2VL
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.KW7R
Entry Name: Bank Street, Library and Area Office with Crieff Road, Municipal Buildings Including Ancillary Building, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396314
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48838
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1903, rebuilt 1905. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay former bank with offices adjoining at rear (Crieff Road), on prominent corner site and in irregular terrace to E. Chlorite-slate rubble with polished and stugged ashlar dressings. Base course, dentilled eaves cornice and corniced blocking course. Corniced and pilastered doorpieces; stone-pedimented windowheads; corbels; chamfered arrises and stone mullions.
N (BANK STREET) ELEVATION: bay to outer left at ground with steps up to doorpiece with part-fluted pilasters, dentilled cornice, frieze with lettering 'Library/Area Office', and 2-leaf panelled timber door; bays to centre and right each with fixed display window. 1st floor with 2 single windows to centre flanked by corbelled bowed tripartite windows, that to left with coat-of-arms worded '(UNION) BANK OF SCOTLAND' on relief carved cartouche. Set-back blocking course incorporating bases of 3 regularly-disposed stone dormer windows, that to centre with flanking incised scrollwork and semicircular pediment dated '1903', that to right with flanking ramshorn scrolls and triangular pediment with wheatsheaf and agricultural tools, and that to left with flanking eagles and triangular pediment with tree flanked by couchant lions.
W (CRIEFF ROAD) ELEVATION: broad 2-bay gable with 2 windows to each floor and small window to centre in gablehead. Municipal Buildings (see below) adjoining at outer right.
W (CRIEFF ROAD) ELEVATION: doorpiece with 2-leaf panelled timber door and 3-part fanlight to right at ground with narrow adjacent window to outer right, margined window above; full-height bowed bay to left with tripartite window to each floor. 2 steeply-pitched stone dormer windows over.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation including broad gable to left with tall blocked window/door? to 1st floor.
Mainly 4- and 6-pane glazing patterns to upper sashes over 2-pane and plate glass lower sashes, all in timber sash and case windows; bowed bays with curved glass; some coloured and mottled glass to stair windows. Grey slates. Corniced and coped ashlar stacks. Overhanging eaves with decorative bargeboarding to W and plain to S. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: Library with plain cornices, dado rails, part-glazed screen door with brass finger plates and multi-pane leaded glazing to panelled interior door with similarly glazed fanlight. Municipal Building (see Notes) with etched glass to screen door, timber-balustered dog-leg staircase and carved newels; timber fireplaces; architraved and panelled doors with brass door plates.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: slate-roofed, chlorite-slate rubble, 2-storey ancillary with door(?) to 1st floor and corniced stack to N gabled elevation; piended S elevation.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low saddleback-coped and semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls; pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers.
Formerly the Union Bank which, according to Mackay, was rebuilt after a fire in 1905. Although not seen 2001, the Municipal Building, now providing office accommodation to a variety of businesses, is thought to have a fine panelled boardroom.
Other nearby listed buildings