This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6209 / 56°37'15"N
Longitude: -3.8621 / 3°51'43"W
OS Eastings: 285838
OS Northings: 749223
OS Grid: NN858492
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.ZKC
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.NV46
Entry Name: Breadalbane Terrace, Palace Hotel Including Ancillary Building and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396318
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48840
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1899. 2- and 3-storey with attic and part basement, 3-bay, L-plan hotel withpyramidal roof to corner tower and shaped gables on prominent corner site. Narrow bands of squared and snecked local green chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting red sandstone ashlar dressings. Base and band courses, eaves cornice. Segmental-arched doorways; keystone; corbels; chamfered arrises and raked cills; stone transoms and mullions.
SE ELEVATION: gabled outer bays, each with 4-part canted transomed windows under shaped blocking course to ground and 1st floors, widely-spaced bipartite at 2nd floor and single window in gablehead. Modern porch to centre at ground fronting converted bipartite window, transomed bipartite at 1st floor and single window above giving way to swept roof and tripartite dormer window with semicircular pediment.
S (CORNER TOWER) ELEVATION: steps up to broad moulded keystoned doorcase with flanking marble columns on ashlar dies, weathered capitals and deep cornice below stone balustrade with flanking ball-finialled dies, part-glazed 2-leaf timber door and deep Art Nouveau-style coloured glass fanlight incorporating 'HOTEL' lettering in glass. Single window to 1st floor giving way to dentilled band course, bipartite above and further single window at attic level surmounted by cornice and pediment with dated roundel on tympanum and ball-finialled flanking dies, finialled 2nd Empire roof behind.
SW (HOME STREET) ELEVATION: 3-storey bays to right of centre, that to left with tall bipartite windows to ground and 1st floor, single window to 2nd floor and semicircular-pedimented dormer over; centre bay with 2 stair windows and stone-pedimented dormer breaking eaves above, blank right bay with corbelled blind tablet abutting 1st floor cornice and extending into raised chimney breast piercing eaves and with pediment and scrollwork at base of stack. 2-storey bays to left of centre with deep-set doorway to right, narrow window to outer right and 2 single transomed windows to left at ground, 2 bipartites above.
NE ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation with brick extension in re-entrant angle.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey gable to right with small horizontal cellar window to right at ground and steps down to timber door at left, lower piended brick bay set back at outer left.
Multi-pane upper over 2-pane lower sashes and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Art Nouveau style coloured leaded glazing to stair windows and upper sashes of ground floor 2-storey bays to SW. Grey slates with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Coped ashlar stacks with terracotta cans and ashlar-coped skews; cast-iron downpipes with decorative fixings.
INTERIOR: timber dog-leg staircase with carved and finialled newels; plain cornicing; brass sash lifts; some timber fireplaces and boarded dadoes. Timber-lined public bar with compartmented ceiling, cast-iron column and mural signed Watt(?) and dated 1961. 1st floor dining room with 'COFFEE ROOM' etched into glass panel on doors.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan, piended red brick ancillary with timber door to centre and flanking windows with 6-pane glazing pattern to NW. Small brick-voussoired opening with boarded timber door to SE.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped boundary walls with inset railings.
Aberfeldy Railway Station was sited immediately opposite the Palace Hotel at what is now Appin Place. In 1900 the proprietor of the Palace Hotel was James Bain.
Other nearby listed buildings