This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6245 / 56°37'28"N
Longitude: -3.8498 / 3°50'59"W
OS Eastings: 286602
OS Northings: 749607
OS Grid: NN866496
Mapcode National: GBR JCV6.R7P
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.TRYF
Plus Code: 9C8RJ5F2+R3
Entry Name: Dunkeld Road, Aberfeldy Distillery and Dewar's World of Whisky Including Stalk and Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396326
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48846
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
1896; still house 1965. Tall 2-storey, rectangular-plan range of buildings forming distillery with pagoda kiln, nearby former bonded warehouses (ancillary buildings) and red brick stalk. Chlorite-slate rubble with squared rubble quoins and slab lintels.
N (DUNKELD ROAD) ELEVATION: pagoda kiln to right of centre having variety of small (altered) openings at ground and 1st floor, large window to centre and 2 smaller windows abutting eaves. Long range to left with near-symmetrical fenestrated bays with small horizontal openings to 1st floor and further asymmetrically-fenestrated bays to right of kiln with flat-roofed still-house beyond.
E ELEVATION: broad M-gabled elevation with 2 windows to each floor and further windows to each gablehead.
S ELEVATION: largely regular openings as those to N, but including some openings as timber doors, oversailing stair to 1st floor door and stone forestair to further door at outer right. Pagoda kiln to left with large altered doorway and 2 small square windows close to eaves. Asymmetrically-fenestrated bays beyond with projecting gabled bay to outer left and slightly lower harled range in re-entrant angle. Stalk (see below) beyond to outer left.
W ELEVATION: later structures.
Largely small-pane glazing patterns in modern hardwood frames. Grey slates with large vertically-astragalled rooflights.
INTERIOR: interior detail includes kingpost roof on cast-iron columns to Visitor's Centre; stainless steel mash tun (1995); Siberian larch washbacks; copper stills; traditional wash and spirit safes.
STALK: banded, coped red brick circular stalk.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS (FORMER BONDED WAREHOUSES AND STORES): 2-storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan, slate-roofed gabled range to SE, and running N-S. Chlorite-slate rubble with ashlar dressings.
N ELEVATION: variety of openings to ground with 3 windows to each gable at 1st floor.
Built by John and Tommy Dewar in1896, the distillery was in the ownership of A & A Crawford Ltd (part of DCL) by 1954. Malting ceased on site during the 1960s. It is now (2001) owned by Bacardi Martini of the United States of America. Stored in oak casks, Aberfeldy Single Malt Whisky is aged for 12 or 25 years, and Dewar's Special Reserve for 12 years. Situated on a rise just east of the distillery buildings is the Manager's House, still occupied by the distillery manager.
Other nearby listed buildings