History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17, 19, 21, 21a and Post Office, Dunkeld Street

A Category C Listed Building in Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6201 / 56°37'12"N

Longitude: -3.864 / 3°51'50"W

OS Eastings: 285716

OS Northings: 749140

OS Grid: NN857491

Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.YJF

Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.MV6T

Entry Name: 17, 19, 21, 21a and Post Office, Dunkeld Street

Listing Date: 5 August 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396328

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48847

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberfeldy

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Highland

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Aberfeldy

Description

1897. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay (above ground) pair of gabled tenements with Post Office and shops at ground. Squared chlorite-slate rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings. Some round-headed windows. Hoodmoulds; stone mullions and decorative bargeboarding.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bays to left of centre with pend door to outer right, and 5 narrow lights with flanking doors (all doors panelled timber with plate glass fanlights) to left, all under deep banded fascia with 2 suspended 'POST OFFICE' signs and modern 'SPAR' sign. 2 bipartite windows at 1st floor with decorative guttering giving way to 2 round-headed windows breaking eaves into dormerheads. Bays to right of centre as above but with 2 modern shops at ground and square-headed dormer windows.

SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to left at ground and attic, and further window to right at 1st floor.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; round-headed windows with decoratively-astragalled upper sashes. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves with decorative bargeboarding. Cast-iron downpipes, some barley twist and square section, with decorative fixings and rainwater hoppers, and decorative gutter fixings. Decorative cast-iron finials.

Statement of Interest

The Post Office moved from Home Street to Dunkeld Street in 1897, it was opened by Sir Robert Menzies in March of that year. The first uniformed postman, Mr MacGregor, appeared in Aberfeldy in 1883.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.