This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.62 / 56°37'11"N
Longitude: -3.8634 / 3°51'48"W
OS Eastings: 285756
OS Northings: 749119
OS Grid: NN857491
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.YX4
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.MVJY
Entry Name: 32 Dunkeld Street, Alexandra House, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396332
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48850
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1899. Tall 3-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Baronial shop and tenement with single storey wing to rear, on prominent corner site. Red bull-faced rubble and chlorite-slate rubble with red bull-faced dressings. Base course, ground floor cornice, continuous stepped hoodmould to 1st floor and mutuled eaves cornice. Crowstepped gables; channelled dividing piers and pilasters; hoodmoulds; raked cills; timber mullions.
NW (DUNKELD STREET) ELEVATION: shop at ground with 2 fixed display windows to left, dividing pilaster to centre and 2 further display windows to right, that to outer right narrower (possibly altered from door), further pilaster to angle beyond, all surmounted by fascia worded 'HAGGARTS' 'TWEED MANUFACTURERS'. Tripartite window to centre at each floor above, that to 2nd floor breaking eaves into crowstepped gablehead; similarly-detailed bay to right but with bipartite windows, and single window to left at 1st floor with small ironwork sign beyond.
N (CORNER TOWER) ELEVATION: bowed bay with 2 pillars supporting open porch, set-back part-glazed 2-leaf panelled timber door with deep fanlight and flanking concave display windows and fascia above with royal coat-of-arms. Bowed tripartite window to each floor above surmounted by conical-roofed tower with decorative cast-iron weathervane finial.
NE (MONESS TERRACE) ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation with display window to ground right below fascia worded 'HAGGARTS' and window at 1st floor; window to left of centre with 2 bipartites and crowstepped dormerhead above, and door to outer left with 2 stair(?) windows above.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bays grouped toward centre with broad 5-part window at ground, bipartites to centre and right, and single window to left at 1st floor, and further bipartite flanked by single windows (all breaking eaves into crowstepped dormerheads) at 2nd floor. Long single storey wing projecting at left.
SW ELEVATION: variety of elements to extended elevation with single storey wing to right, including 3 boarded timber doors with letterbox fanlights, and tripartite windows to 1st and 2nd floors.
12-pane glazing pattern to ground SE, 12-pane upper sashes over plate glass lower to NW, N and NE, and plate glass glazing elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Banded and coped shouldered stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews with beak skewputts. Fine barley-twist cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: fine original shop interior with decorative plasterwork, barleytwist cast-iron columns with decorated capitals, small-pane display windows, fitting rooms, timber-panelled counter and boarded timber-lined walls.
BOUNDARY WALLS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
By 1880 the Breadalbane Woollen Mills had been taken over by Messrs P & J Haggart of Keltneyburn Woollen Mills, founded 1801. Some ten years later Haggarts had moved their entire business to Aberfeldy having purchased both the 'Dyer's Mill' (now the 'Tweed Mill', listed separately) and a second mill sited where 'Tayside Cottages' now stand. At that time patrons included Queen Alexandra and King Edward, and latterly the Queen Mother whose arms are still displayed over the shop doorway today (2001). Haggarts showroom in Bank Street was closed with the move to Dunkeld Street in 1899. Although Haggarts passed into new ownership during the 1970s, the company retained its name and still manufactures its own tweed, continuing to attract custom from Highland estates and across the world.
Other nearby listed buildings