This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6192 / 56°37'9"N
Longitude: -3.8645 / 3°51'52"W
OS Eastings: 285683
OS Northings: 749035
OS Grid: NN856490
Mapcode National: GBR JCT7.4HH
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.LWZJ
Entry Name: The Square and Old Crieff Road, Bank of Scotland, Struan House and Tulloch Bank Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396349
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48871
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1891. 3-storey, 3-bay by 5-bay small tenement with Queen Anne gableheads, comprising bank and shop at ground on corner site with ground rising steeply to SE. Painted ashlar to ground with stucco/render above. Ashlar dressings with channelled piers and architraved surrounds. Band and cill courses, eaves cornice. Fluted pilasters dividing bays above ground. Stone mullions.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bay to outer left at ground with in-canted part-glazed timber door, plate glass fanlight and mosaic-tiled doorstep, single fixed display window immediately to right with dividing pilaster beyond and 3 similar windows to right of centre, outer pilasters and corniced frieze with 'BANK OF SCOTLAND'. Single window to centre at 1st and 2nd floors, flanking gabled bays with wide-centre tripartite window to each floor, that to 2nd floor with cornice and semicircular scrolled pediment; keystoned niches to gableheads, each with corbelled fluted pilasters and flanking paterae, scallop-detailed arch and further patera detail to pediment.
NE (OLD CRIEFF ROAD) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation above ground (bays grouped 3-2). Bay to left of centre with panelled timber door and 'STRUAN HOUSE' etched on plate glass fanlight, shop window with door beyond to left and 2 widely-spaced windows to right all under frieze and cornice. Further lower bay with window to outer left. 1st and 2nd floor each with 5 windows and dividing pilasters, windows to centre and penultimate left at 2nd floor with semicircular pediments flanking date '1891' and giving way to gablehead detailed as above. Bays to right surmounted by tall shouldered, decoratively-shafted wallhead stack.
S (REAR AND TULLOCH BANK) ELEVATION: 4-bay (bays grouped 2-1-1) angled elevation with ground floor forming basement and with turret-roofed entrance tower to in-canted centre. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floor of bays 1, 2 and 4; bowed bay to centre with stair window to 1st floor and steps to higher ground with oversailing platt to panelled timber door with deep plate glass fanlight, turret roof and adjacent shouldered wallhead stack to left.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced and coped rendered stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews with ball-finialled skewputts.
INTERIOR: Struan House with curved stone staircase and decorative cast-iron balusters; panelled timber doors. Tulloch Bank not seen 2001.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: flat-coped rubble boundary walls with inset railings, square-section ball-finialled ashlar gatepiers, decorative ironwork gates and railings.
The Bank of Scotland commenced trading at these premises in July 2001. Built for William Robertson proprietor of the nearby Co-operative store (listed separately) who wanted a different type of architecture for his own home, with shops at ground.
Other nearby listed buildings