This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1733 / 57°10'23"N
Longitude: -2.1072 / 2°6'25"W
OS Eastings: 393617
OS Northings: 809162
OS Grid: NJ936091
Mapcode National: GBR SB5.8L
Mapcode Global: WH9QJ.LYSS
Entry Name: Balgownie Road, Glenseaton Lodge
Listing Date: 23 September 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396439
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48925
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bridge of Don
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
18th or early 19th century cottage at core, extended in mid to later 19th century (rear and side) and in later 19th century (rear side), returning plan to near rectangle. Single storey and attic 3-bay cottage, with 2-storey addition to rear and adjoining single storey additions to side. Interior decoration by Daniel Cottier. Stone.
SW ELEVATION: single storey cottage to left with 19th century gabled porch to centre; decorative bargeboards and kingpost, fanlit door with side lights. Windows in flanking bays. Gabled dormers above outer bays and swept dormer above porch. Mid to later 19th century extension to right, slightly recessed, with windows.
SE ELEVATION: mid to later 19th century single storey extension to left and later 19th century extension to right, adjoining, each with canted window (gothic glazing pattern).
2-storey addition to rear, piend-roofed, mid to later 19th century date.
Some stained glass (Cottier) retained in Drawing Room, otherwise plate glass. Grey slate roofs, lead flashings. Stone wall and gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: drawing room with shallow, plaster-ribbed barrel-vaulted ceiling, panelled jambs to windows; hand-painted stencilling (partially uncovered) by Cottier, to walls and ceiling; marble chimneypiece with tiled cheeks. Dining Room with boarded and ribbed coombed timber ceiling, with hand-painted floral decoration to doors and window surrounds; stone chimneypiece.
Sited in an ox bow loop of the River Dee, with mill lade to rear, to the south of Balgownie Road, and with extensive garden previously landscaped. The property was formerly known as Seaton Cottage (the name now assumed by the neighbouring former mill property to the NW). Glenseaton Lodge has evolved over the 19th century with uncertain earlier origins (the Sales Brochure suggests from the 14th century). The notable interest is the interior work by Daniel Cottier (1838-1891), one of Scotland's most influential interior and stained glass decorators of the second half of the 19th century. Cottier's work is often compared to that of Morris & Co and is also considered a pre-eminent proponent of the Aesthetic movement in Britain and America. The decorative scheme at Glenseaton forms part of his early repertoire as an independent decorator and echoes the work Cottier executed in the 1860s at Townhead Blochairn Parish Churh and Dowanhill Church, both in Glasgow (see separate listings). Cottier collaborated with prominent Scottish architects such as Alexander 'Greek' Thomson (Queen's Park United Presbyterian Church, demolished) and William Leiper, for whom he provided fine domestic as well as ecclesiastical schemes in the late 1860s and early 1870s (Cornhill House, Cairndhu House - see separate listings).
Part of the building damaged by fire and section to S roofless, 15 May 2013.
Other nearby listed buildings