This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8635 / 55°51'48"N
Longitude: -5.4144 / 5°24'51"W
OS Eastings: 186437
OS Northings: 668640
OS Grid: NR864686
Mapcode National: GBR FF06.W42
Mapcode Global: WH0K3.SWWB
Plus Code: 9C7PVH7P+96
Entry Name: Tarbert Harbour Walls Including Former Weighbridge, Slipways and Beilding
Listing Date: 1 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396448
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48935
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Kintyre and the Islands
Thomas Telford, engineer, early 19th century. Near U-plan harbour. Dry stone rubble wall. Steps within wall to E; rear wall of former weighbridge building extends beyond harbour wall with slipway to E. Weighbridge comprised of gabled cottage (now commercial premises); harled with slate roof, gablehead stacks; 2 windows to N, window to each gable, central door with flanking windows to S. Rear (N) wall extending down to lower ground of slip. Further slipway to SW. 2 archways within SW corner of harbour wall (for drainage); wall continues northwards with steps within wall. Harbour walls terminating to N at slipway and to E at pier. Square quay (Beilding) within harbour; dry stone rubble; stone steps within wall to SE.
Tarbert Harbour is depicted on a plan in Atlas to the Life of Telford, that features a number of harbours, which were 'made or improved under the direction of The Commissioners for Highland Roads and Bridges 1806-1821.' This was part of a huge programme of canal, road and bridge construction in the Highlands which was set up by the government to alleviate
social problems by improving communication. The plan shows the 2 slipways and a pier to the East. This pier has been added to a number of times to create Harbour Street and is not part of the statutory list. Other references suggest that Telford's harbour improvements took place in the second half of the 19th century. Tarbert Harbour is a natural harbour and is situated at the head of East Loch Tarbert. The herring fishing industry developed here during the 18th and early 19th centuries. As it did so, the village grew (many of the waterfront buildings date from the early 19th century) and Tarbert became the centre of the Loch Fyne
herring fishery. The square quay (Beilding) is an artificial island, which was used to help haul sailing boats into the harbour during times of difficult winds. (RCAHMS).
Other nearby listed buildings