This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1891 / 56°11'20"N
Longitude: -3.959 / 3°57'32"W
OS Eastings: 278524
OS Northings: 701330
OS Grid: NN785013
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G4KV
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.5P1R
Plus Code: 9C8R52QR+JC
Entry Name: Perth Road, Crawford House Including Coach House
Listing Date: 17 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396476
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48960
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
1849. 3-bay, square-plan, Jacobean, multi-gabled villa. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone with ashlar margins. Base course, continuous stringcourse between ground and 1st floor, moulded eaves course. Chamfered reveals to openings. Scrolled skewputts and kneelers to coped gables.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: narrow gabled bay to centre; timber panelled door with fanlight, shoulder-arched, double roll-moulded reveal, square panel bearing armorial crest above; pointed segmentally-arched window to 1st floor, inset panel to gablehead. Broad gabled bay to left, 2-storey, advanced canted bay to centre. Stone-mullioned, tripartite window to ground floor in bay to right, single gabled window breaking eaves to above.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: M-gabled with narrow bay to centre; pointed segmentally-arched stair window to centre, coach house abutting to left.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gabled bay to left, blind arrow slit to gablehead. Single bay to right, regular fenestration.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: regular fenestration. 2-leaf, glazed door to left, plain window to right. Gables breaking eaves to 1st floor windows.
Predominantly 4-pane, timber, sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Multiple, coped, octagonal stacks to roof ridges and gable ends.
INTERIOR: tessellated tiles to hall. Vaulted ceilings to double-height stairwell and landing, with plasterwork diagonal ribbing, clustered vaulting shafts and crocketed springing. Elaborate foliate plasterwork cornices to all principal apartments.
COACH HOUSE: Circa 1905. W facing, 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan gabled, addition to rear of house. Harled rubble build with chamfered yellow sandstone ashlar margins. Cat-slide roof to W elevation, broad multi-pane windows. 2-storey, Narrow, gabled link to main house to rear. Lean-to glass house to S, modern entrance slapping to N linked to modern car-port. Latterly partially divided, open-plan interior with dado-height timber panelling. Recessed snug with high narrow window above elliptically arched brick fireplace with fitted benches either side.
Stylistic similarities with Holmehill Lodge (see separate listing) suggest the practice of William Stirling, continued by his son James after his death in 1838. Listed principally for the quality of the interior, Jacobean-Gothic style, plasterwork, recently revealed during restoration work by present owners (2001). The original walled garden of Crawford Park stretched from Smithy Loan to the north across to Perth Road but has been largely sold off and subdivided for modern housing in the 1980s. The form and design of the later addition to the rear known as the 'Coach House' suggest that it be actually built as a billiards room with servants quarters above. The Coach House has been sealed off from the main house and is now a separate property with access via the driveway of Crawford Park.
Other nearby listed buildings