History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Station Road, Dunblane Railway Station Including Original Footbridge

A Category C Listed Building in Dunblane, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1858 / 56°11'8"N

Longitude: -3.9655 / 3°57'55"W

OS Eastings: 278109

OS Northings: 700983

OS Grid: NN781009

Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G93N

Mapcode Global: WH4NT.1SY7

Entry Name: Station Road, Dunblane Railway Station Including Original Footbridge

Listing Date: 17 October 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396482

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48964

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunblane

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Dunblane

Description

William Tite, 1848. Single storey, 3-bay, T-plan, crowstepped gabled, Jacobethan station buildings. Red brick with yellow sandstone ashlar margins, painted white to station elevation. Long and short quoins, blocked architraves, chamfered to reveals.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door to centre left, stone-mullioned bipartite window to bay to right, modern timber and plate glass addition to bay to left with projecting timber, flat-roofed canopy. Modern addition linking to formerly free standing, small gabled office to SW corner; 2-bay, regular fenestration, 3-bay, timber addition to S with slated piended roof.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced, gabled bay to centre; singe window and door to left return, harled to right return.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gable end.

W (STATION PLATFORM) ELEVATION: single window to gable end, modern flat-roofed addition linking to small gabled office to right.

Predominantly 12-pane, timber-framed, sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: modern ticket office and waiting room.

FOOTBRIDGE: segmentally-arched, covered, lattice plate girder footbridge; decorative gothic brackets to cast-iron piers.

Statement of Interest

Tite's station building is, despite or possibly because of its simplicity, particularly successful. The combination of crowstepped gables, ashlar quoins and brick work manages to promote a specific Scottish Central Line identity whilst at the same time sitting comfortably with the historic burgh architecture of Dunblane. The red bricks were made from a special brick works opened at Lecropt using Carse clay and were the first bricks used in central Scotland. The bricks were used for all the station along the line from Bridge of Allan to Gleneagles. The railway station and yard, extending to 4 acres, originally constituted the glebe of the parish minister, until the land was sold by the church in 1846 to allow for the construction of the Scottish Central Railway northwards through Dunblane on its way to Perth, 1846-58. The railway made many changes to the Bridgend area of Dunblane, which was cut in two and many houses demolished to allow for its coming. Previously Bridgend had been an historic quarter of Dunblane Burgh equivalent to Ramoyle and Braeport to the north of the town.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.