This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1491 / 56°8'56"N
Longitude: -4.0076 / 4°0'27"W
OS Eastings: 275376
OS Northings: 696976
OS Grid: NS753969
Mapcode National: GBR 18.JKNS
Mapcode Global: WH4NZ.DPVV
Plus Code: 9C8Q4XXR+MX
Entry Name: Bridge over Carrat Burn (Near Saughs Cottage)
Listing Date: 13 November 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396489
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48976
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kincardine (Stirling)
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Kincardine (Stirling)
Traditional County: Perthshire
Early and later 18th century. Two adjacent single span, semicircular arch, rubble-built bridges with squared rubble-built bridges with squared rubble voussoirs. Early 18th century packhorse bridge (1.2m wide; 3.4m span) with later 18th bridge (3m wide; 4.7 span) adjacently situated to NE creating single bridge (4.2m) to carry coaches.
It is likely that the first packhorse bridge was erected after George Drummond (1638-1717) purchased th barony of Blair Drummond in 1714. The bridge, which crosses the Carrat Burn on its way to join the river below Ochertyre, is shown on W Winter's 1754 estate plan for George Drummond of Blair Drummond, John Ramsay, owner of neighbouring Ochtertyre, wrote of loads of coal and lime being brought to his estate on packhorses, suggesting that at this time the bridge at Saughs was a simple packhorse bridge. By 1773 the Drip [Old] Bridge (to S on road to Stirling - see separate listing) was built by subscription on the initiative of Henry Home, Lord Kames (1696-1792), the enlightened laird of Blair Drummond, enabling him to cross the Forth on his carriage. It is thought likely that the packhorse bridge at Saughs was thus widened to allow coach access to the Blair Drummond estate which would still have been part of the King's Highway. A further survey of the Blair Drummond estate by Kyles in 1805 indicates that by this date the present line of the A84 had been established between the Drip [Old] Bridge and the boundary of the Ochtertyre estate, by-passing the bridge at Saughs. The bridge is currently overcome with vegetation and some voussoirs are missing to the base of the NE arch making it unsafe for vehicular traffic (2002).