This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1672 / 56°10'1"N
Longitude: -4.4444 / 4°26'39"W
OS Eastings: 248320
OS Northings: 699855
OS Grid: NS483998
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.HHJQ
Mapcode Global: WH3MM.P8V1
Plus Code: 9C8Q5H84+V7
Entry Name: Duchray Castle Lodge, Including Boundary Wall/
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396499
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48984
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1825 with mid and later/late 20th century additions to E. Single storey; double-fronted; rectangular-plan with additions forming rectangular-plan to rear. Entrance lodge. Original block of symmetrical design with deep overhanging eaves and semicircular panels over windows. Original block coursed dressed stone with painted ashlar dressings; additions harled. Roll moulded architraves to original block; stugged long and short surrounds to principal (E) elevation; quoins at arrises.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance; replacement panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight. Flanking bipartites with rounded mullions.
N ELEVATION: window to left of gable end. Mid 20th century addition adjons to right (2 windows).
S ELEVATION: window to right of gable end. Later/late 20th century addition adjoins to left.
W ELEVATION: original block obscured by mid and later/late 20th century additions (window to mid 20th century section to left, 2 to later/late 20th century section to right).
2-pane timber sash and case windows to original block. Grey slate roof; swept down to lower eaves level to rear/W (piended grey slate roof to mid 20th century addition/flat asphalted roof to later/late 20th century addition). Harled gablehead stacks to either side (N and S) of original block; that to N with band course; round can to each.
INTERIOR: not inspected (2000).
BOUNDARY WALL/RAILINGS TO S AND E: low coped wall surmounted by cast-iron railings with spiked finials (probably late 19th/early 20th century) to E. Gateway and pedestrian gateway with moulded cast-iron gateposts at N end; cast-iron gate with spiked finials to pedestrian entrance. Low rubble wall with rubble coping to S.
An attractive entrance lodge, probably constructed in around 1825, when Duchray Castle was restored/remodelled (RCAHMS with reference to O S Name Book for Drymen parish). It is situated along the principal route of entry from Aberfoyle. The castle/estate was owned by the Graham family from when it was built in the late/later 16th century until the 1940's. See separate list description for Duchray Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings