This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0573 / 56°3'26"N
Longitude: -4.4508 / 4°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 247483
OS Northings: 687652
OS Grid: NS474876
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.Q835
Mapcode Global: WH3N6.L0RP
Entry Name: Strathendrick Golf Club, Pavilion
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396500
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48985
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
William McPherson; circa 1901; Sandy Wilkinson; 1962 flanking additions; later additions. Single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical golf pavilion, to N of golf course; with timber veranda to principal (S) elevation. Timber with corrugated-iron facing (painted green). Lower flat-roofed additions flank original block (1962). Later lean-to addition to rear.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: overhanging eaves supported on timber piers with carved fretwork brackets (heart motif to centre) at apex, to form open veranda; plain timber railings enclose veranda at lower level. Entrances with panelled timber doors (diagonal timberboarded panels) flanked by windows over fixed timber bench seating with bracketed legs. Recessed entrances to flanking additions.
N ELEVATION: irregular fenestration to later addition with lean-to roof. Entrance to right.
4-pane timber casements to principal (S) elevation; non-traditional to rear lean-to. Piended corrugated-iron roof to original block.
INTERIOR (seen 2012): remodelled 1962, original block consisting of one room with timber boarding to walls and canted ceiling. Locker room to flanking addition with timber lockers and benches.
Strathendrick Golf Club Pavilion is a relatively intact small-scale golf pavilion with good architectural details such as the timber veranda with distinctive fretwork. The scale of the pavilion is unusual as many golf clubhouses have been substantially extended to accommodate growing memberships. The clubhouse originally consisted of a central block which was divided by a timber partition into two equal-sized locker rooms; one for gentlemen and one for ladies. In 1962 the pavilion was extended and altered to relocate the locker rooms, thereby providing a communal lounge in the original block.
The golf course was opened October 5th 1901 on was laid out on the lands of Drumbeg by golfer Willie Ferne with the clubhouse designed by William McPherson of Montrose Estate and constructed by John Edmond and Son. In 1925 the addition of two tennis courts near the course was agreed, and these were subsequently opened in 1927.
Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game of golf played over 18 holes. So popular was golf in medieval Scotland that it was a dangerous distraction from maintaining military skills in archery and James II prohibited the playing of 'gowf' and football in 1457.
The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes from the mid 19th century onwards increased the popularity of the sport with another peak taking place in the early 1900s. Purpose-built clubhouses date from the mid-nineteenth century onwards, previously clubs had used villas or rooms in an inn near to the course.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings