This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0736 / 56°4'24"N
Longitude: -4.3864 / 4°23'10"W
OS Eastings: 251559
OS Northings: 689320
OS Grid: NS515893
Mapcode National: GBR 0T.PBK9
Mapcode Global: WH3N1.LLGR
Entry Name: Balfunning House, East Lodge and Entrance Gateway
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396506
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48994
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Probably James Thomson of Baird and Thomson of Glasgow, 1883-84; with later additions to LODGE. Single storey and attic; 3-bay; original block; with single storey additions to N and W. Scottish baronial design with crowstepped gables to original block (and part of extension to W), including to breaking-eaves entrance surround; SE arris canted at ground floor, corbelled out above. Coursed snecked rockfaced sandstone; droved sandstone ashlar dressings to original block. Base course to original block; chamfered window surrounds; hood-moulds with scrolled stops to those to ground floor; segmental-headed windows to attic. 4 Square-plan sandstone ashlar gatepiers to ENTRANCE GATEWAY to SE; flanking swept coursed rockfaced sandstone wing walls terminating at piers.
LODGE: S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: original 3-bay block to right. Slightly projecting near central entrance with deep breaking-eaves gabled surround with scrolled skewputts and central arrowslit opening; moulded reveals; 2-leaf part-glazed replacement timber door set back. Window to left of ground floor. Mullioned quadripartite to outer right continued across canted arris at ground floor (wall above corbelled out) and outer left of E elevation. Single storey 20th century addition set back to outer left; segmental-headed entrance to right of centre; segmental-headed window to right; mullioned bipartite to left.
E ELEVATION: window centred below obelisk-finialled gable to ground floor and attic (that to ground floor blocked). Part of mullioned quadripartite to outer left (continued across canted arris to S elevation). Broad, square-plan chimney stack, corbelled out from wall above eaves at outer right arris; keyhole arroslit to this side. Single storey 20th century addition with window set back to far right.
W ELEVATION: single storey; 2-bay; 20th century addition projects from original block and to left; mullioned bipartite to each bay; that to right crowstepped. Attic window set back to original block.
N ELEVATION: single storey 20th century addition projects from original block and to right; entrance to left of centre; flanking irregular fenestration.
2-pane timber sash and case windows to ground floor of original block and S and W elevations of 20th century addition. Grey slate roofs (that to addition partially piended). Coped gablehead stack to W end of original block; broad coped wallhead stack corbelled out at NE arris; coped stack to 20th century addition; round cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
ENTRANCE GATEWAY: pair of square-plan gatepiers, chamfered at arrises, with identical outer gatepiers to flanking pedestrian gates; each with base course, frieze and stepped octagonal pyramid coping; cast-iron gates incorporating 2 horizontal bands with circular motifs. Flanking swept wing walls with moulded coping; that to N stepped up along slight incline; that to S stepped down along slight incline; both terminating at square-plan piers with moulded pyramid coping and ball finials.
B Group with Balfunning House, Former Stable Block and W Lodge and Entranceway. A distinctive late 19th century Scottish baronial lodge, sympatheticaly extended in the 20th century. It first appears on the 1898 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings