This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0752 / 56°4'30"N
Longitude: -4.3965 / 4°23'47"W
OS Eastings: 250938
OS Northings: 689515
OS Grid: NS509895
Mapcode National: GBR 0T.P891
Mapcode Global: WH3N1.FKPK
Entry Name: Balfunning House, Former Stable Block (East and West Stables)
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396507
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48995
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Probably James Thomson of Baird and Thomson of Glasgow, 1883-84. Single storey and attic; U-plan; former stable block (now flats); built around courtyard. Main gables crowtepped (with beaked skewputts). Coursed slightly rockfaced sandstone droved at arrises with droved ashlar dressings; W side harled. Eaves cornice; chamfered surrounds to windows.
MAIN BLOCK: S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay arrangement. Breaking-eaves gabled bay with crested ball finial to centre; round-arched window to gable; segmental-headed carriage entrance with roll-moulded architrave below. Gabled ball-finialled breaking-eaves dormer with moulded coping with roll-like skewputts to each of flanking bays; pair of small flanking segmental-headed windows below to each.
N ELEVATION: 4-bay. Blank projecting gable ends of wings to outer flanking bays (that to right shorter); right return of that to left largely altered with late 20th century boarded timber infill above larged glazed area (2-leaf door and large flanking bipartites); window (formerly entrance to right); entrance with double roll-moulded surround to left return of right gabled bay; 2-leaf boarded timber door; rectangular 2-light fanlight above main architrave; re-used lintel inscribed 'A.B.1723.HC'; window to left; breaking-eaves corniced segmental-headed dormer to left. Breaking-eaves gabled bay with with crested ball finial set back slightly to left of centre; round-arched window to gable; chamfered segmental-headed carriage entrance below (entrance with late 20th century part-glazed replacement door to both inner returns of pend). Window to right.
E ELEVATION: near central entrance with segmental-headed timber lintel and segmental-headed fanlight with stone lintel; panelled timber door; 2-light rectangular fanlight above. Gabled bay to left; 2 windows to ground floor; segmental-headed attic window centred above. 2 windows to outer right; breaking-eaves dormer (probably formerly hayloft pitching door; lower part now infilled with boarded timber) with crowstepped gable centred above.
W ELEVATION: gabled bay to right; large inserted/enlarged window to left of ground floor; segmenteal-headed window centred above. Window to left of ground floor; breaking-eaves dormer (probably formerly hayloft pitching door; lower part now infilled with boarded timber) with crowstepped gable above.
Mainly 4 and 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Coped rendered gablehead stacks to E and W; round cans. Original cast-iron rainwater goods to S side.
BLOCK TO N: S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Former large segmental-headed entrance to left partially infilled with boarded timber; glazed 2-leaf replacement door. Large inserted 2-bay garage opening to right. Window above to each bay (that to centre larger).
W ELEVATION: 2 windows to each floor to gable end (that to right of ground floor smaller).
E ELEVATION: central window to ground and 1st floors (that to 1st floor larger).
W ELEVATION: blank. Multipane timber casements to S; elsewhere mianly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Coped gablehead stack to W; round cans.
INTERIORS: not inspected (1999).
B Group with Balfunning House and East and West Lodges and Entranceways. A smart slightly altered late 19th century stable block. Probably by James Thomson, who designed the main house in 1883-84. It first appears on the 1898 OS Map. The later rectangular-plan block to the N is not included in the listing (it first appears on the 1918 OS map).