History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balfunning House, Former Stable Block (East and West Stables)

A Category C Listed Building in Drymen, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0752 / 56°4'30"N

Longitude: -4.3965 / 4°23'47"W

OS Eastings: 250938

OS Northings: 689515

OS Grid: NS509895

Mapcode National: GBR 0T.P891

Mapcode Global: WH3N1.FKPK

Entry Name: Balfunning House, Former Stable Block (East and West Stables)

Listing Date: 30 October 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396507

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48995

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Drymen

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Drymen

Description

Probably James Thomson of Baird and Thomson of Glasgow, 1883-84. Single storey and attic; U-plan; former stable block (now flats); built around courtyard. Main gables crowtepped (with beaked skewputts). Coursed slightly rockfaced sandstone droved at arrises with droved ashlar dressings; W side harled. Eaves cornice; chamfered surrounds to windows.

MAIN BLOCK: S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay arrangement. Breaking-eaves gabled bay with crested ball finial to centre; round-arched window to gable; segmental-headed carriage entrance with roll-moulded architrave below. Gabled ball-finialled breaking-eaves dormer with moulded coping with roll-like skewputts to each of flanking bays; pair of small flanking segmental-headed windows below to each.

N ELEVATION: 4-bay. Blank projecting gable ends of wings to outer flanking bays (that to right shorter); right return of that to left largely altered with late 20th century boarded timber infill above larged glazed area (2-leaf door and large flanking bipartites); window (formerly entrance to right); entrance with double roll-moulded surround to left return of right gabled bay; 2-leaf boarded timber door; rectangular 2-light fanlight above main architrave; re-used lintel inscribed 'A.B.1723.HC'; window to left; breaking-eaves corniced segmental-headed dormer to left. Breaking-eaves gabled bay with with crested ball finial set back slightly to left of centre; round-arched window to gable; chamfered segmental-headed carriage entrance below (entrance with late 20th century part-glazed replacement door to both inner returns of pend). Window to right.

E ELEVATION: near central entrance with segmental-headed timber lintel and segmental-headed fanlight with stone lintel; panelled timber door; 2-light rectangular fanlight above. Gabled bay to left; 2 windows to ground floor; segmental-headed attic window centred above. 2 windows to outer right; breaking-eaves dormer (probably formerly hayloft pitching door; lower part now infilled with boarded timber) with crowstepped gable centred above.

W ELEVATION: gabled bay to right; large inserted/enlarged window to left of ground floor; segmenteal-headed window centred above. Window to left of ground floor; breaking-eaves dormer (probably formerly hayloft pitching door; lower part now infilled with boarded timber) with crowstepped gable above.

Mainly 4 and 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Coped rendered gablehead stacks to E and W; round cans. Original cast-iron rainwater goods to S side.

BLOCK TO N: S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Former large segmental-headed entrance to left partially infilled with boarded timber; glazed 2-leaf replacement door. Large inserted 2-bay garage opening to right. Window above to each bay (that to centre larger).

W ELEVATION: 2 windows to each floor to gable end (that to right of ground floor smaller).

E ELEVATION: central window to ground and 1st floors (that to 1st floor larger).

W ELEVATION: blank. Multipane timber casements to S; elsewhere mianly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Coped gablehead stack to W; round cans.

INTERIORS: not inspected (1999).

Statement of Interest

B Group with Balfunning House and East and West Lodges and Entranceways. A smart slightly altered late 19th century stable block. Probably by James Thomson, who designed the main house in 1883-84. It first appears on the 1898 OS Map. The later rectangular-plan block to the N is not included in the listing (it first appears on the 1918 OS map).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.