This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1096 / 56°6'34"N
Longitude: -4.3217 / 4°19'17"W
OS Eastings: 255722
OS Northings: 693192
OS Grid: NS557931
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.M13N
Mapcode Global: WH3MW.LP8N
Entry Name: Ballochneck
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396509
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48997
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Later 19th century, incorporating earlier 19th century block. 2-storey and attic; overall T-plan, incorporating rectangular-plan earlier block to S and larger later L-shaped block to N. Principal (N) elevation of Italianate design with 3-storey tower with arcaded round-arched windows. Original block coursed stone and coursed rubble with droved sandstone ashlar dressings; main (later) block coursed stugged stone (principal elevation sandstone) with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course to main block and to E elevation of earlier block; frieze and bracketted timber eaves cornice to both (eaves raised slightly to accommodate this to earlier block); band course above ground floor to principal elevation. Vertical margins at arrises and architraved openings throughout; stugged quoins at arrises and stugged long and shorts to openings througout. Shaped timber bargeboards with pendant T-braces at apex throughout.
PRINCIPAL (N) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Entrance at base of slightly projecting; 3-storey; rectangular-plan tower to central bay; open porch comprising pair of columns with plain semi bowl-shaped capitals set forward on pedestals supporting entablature surmounted by balustraded parapet; pair of pilasters with Greek key motifs to capitals set back flanking entrance; steps up to entrance with moulded architrave; 8-panel timber door with rectangular fanlight. Sides of tower recessed slightly as vertical panels. Tall narrow window to ground floor to left return of tower. 2-light round-arched window arcade above entrance; attached columns with cushion capitals supporting round arches with keystones (each with recessed panel); flanking band course at impost level (to this side only). Band course above (continued to left return of tower) surmounted by blank recessed panel with moulded architrave. Triple-arched window arcade to 2nd floor to each of exposed faces of tower (identical to that at 1st floor but with fluted keystones); projecting cill band extends across corners of tower. Stone brackets at head of vertical panels to each side; frieze and moulded cornice above; surmounted by balustraded parapet (stepped block centred above to each side); panelled pedestals at arrises surmounted by obelisk finials. Gabled bay to right set forward; mullioned tripartite bow window to ground floor; corniced frieze surmounted by panelled parapet. Mullioned bipartite with frieze and consoled cornice surmounted by segmental pediment to 1st floor. Left bay set back; projecting mullioned tripartite to ground floor; frieze and moulded cornice surmounted by panelled and corniced parapet-like band forming cill of pedimented mullioned breaking-eaves bipartite (with frieze and parallel brackets at either end to pediment) to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: gabled bay of main block projects to outer right; 2 windows to ground floor; one centred above; window to ground and 1st floor to left return. Earlier 3-bay block set back to left. Central entrance with panelled timber door and rectangular fanlight; window above and flanking windows to ground and 1st floors (that to right of ground floor altered to mullion bipartite). Side of single storey lean-to addition set back to outer left; window to right.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay section of main block projects to outer left. Gable end of rectangular-plan conservatory projects at right angles to either side of entrance to gabled central bay; timber-framed glazed substructure with bracketted eaves on ashlar base, supported on cast-iron roof trusses and central column; steps up to entrance to slightly projecting gabled bay with weather-vane finial to left return; part-glazed timber door. Steps down to pair of small basement entrances to right return. Flanking windows set back to ground floor (that to right smaller). Window to 1st floor to central and left bays; large stair window to outer right; boxed dormer to left of attic. Earlier 3-bay block set back to right; ground and 1st floor windows to outer flanking bays; stair window to centre; gabled bipartite breaking-eaves dormer (inserted during remodelling) above. Side of single storey lean-to addition set back to outer right.
S ELEVATION: window to right of 1st floor to earlier block. Single storey lean-to addition projects below/around base of window (bracketted coping to side walls and eaves band to front); steps up to entrance to left of centre; boarded timber door (divided into 2 leaves horizontally); window to left; 2 narrow windows to right.
2-pane timber sash and case windows throughout, apart from S to S side of lean-to (multi-pane timber sash and case). Grey slate roofs (lean-to asphalted). Corniced ashlar gablehead stacks to E and W of main block and to S of earlier block; corniced ashlar stack to centre of main block; small corniced red sandstone stack to W side of lean-to; round cans (missing to lean-to).
INTERIOR: layout and fixtures and fittings largely intact from later 19th century remodelling. Finely panelled walls (in Georgian manner) to main entrance hall and dining room to left of main entrance. Open-well principal staircase with turned balustrade; parquet floor at foot. Marble fireplace surround carved with putti (probably a slightly later insertion) to drawing room to right of main entrance. Fine plaster cornicing and ceiling roses to dining room and drawing room (above). Original winding stone staircase with cast-iron balustrade to earlier block.
An intact later 19th century villa with a finely detailed Italinate principal elevation. The earlier block to the rear, which it incorporates, was remodelled at the same time (it probably formerly had a piended roof). It appears on the 1865 OS map (minus the lean-to addition to the S). The later block (including the conservatory to the W) appears on the 1898 OS map. The earlier block belonged to William Lennie (a 'grammarian' according to Guthrie Smith) in the early 1840's (The New Statistical Account). 'Ballochneck' appears on this site on John Grassom's map of 1817. At this time it probably comprised a small farm. It is likely that the 2 long parallel ranges shown just to the N on the 1865 map were the original farmhouse and steading and that the earlier block of the present building was built as the new (and upgraded) farmhouse. The terrace on which the house stands appears to have been constructed at the same time and would have elevated it above the farm (the ranges are not shown on the 1898 OS map and may have been demolished when the house was enlarged). In the 1880's the estate was purchased by Sir William McOnie, who became Lord Provost of Glasgow. See separate list description for Stables to S.
Other nearby listed buildings