This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9557 / 55°57'20"N
Longitude: -3.1486 / 3°8'54"W
OS Eastings: 328382
OS Northings: 674229
OS Grid: NT283742
Mapcode National: GBR 8YD.QJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.LKWM
Entry Name: 2-12 (Even Numbers) Restalrig Road South, 1-21 (Odd Numbers) Portobello Road, 1-16 (Inclusive Numbers) Piershill Square West, 1-14 (Inclusive Numbers) Piershill Square East with Boundary Walls and Rai
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396581
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49047
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Ebenezer James MacRae, 1937-8. Local authority housing scheme comprising 47 3- and 4-storey, predominantly 7-bay tenements, mainly arranged in two linked tapering squares. 3-bay canted corners to corner blocks. Regularly spaced slightly advanced gablet-headed bays. Advanced round stair turret to centre of Portobello road elevation. Some piend roofed dormers to 4-storey blocks. Hammer-dressed snecked rubble with ashlar angle quoins and bull-faced lintels and quoins to windows. Some 4-storey blocks harled at 1st-3rd floors. Basecourse. Cill courses to rendered blocks. Roll moulded surrounds to timber boarded doors. Roll moulded relieving arches above some doorways. Regular fenestration of single and paired windows.
Some original 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows, many non-traditional windows. Mixture of gabled and piended roofs. Grey scotch and welsh slate. Ashlar-coped skews. Prominent coped stacks with some clay cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low coped rubble boundary wall with plain cast iron railings to front of all tenements.
Built on the site of the Piershill cavalry barracks, which were vacated by the army in 1934. Although the barracks were completely demolished, most of the stone was re-used and further stone for the tenements came from other demolished buildings; dressings for the corners, lintels and cills came from Darney Quarry in Northumberland. E J MacRae was the City Architect from 1925 to 1946. His interpretation of traditional Scottish architecture, as seen at Piershill, made him an important influence on Edinburgh architecture in the twentieth century. The Piershill scheme occupies a prominent position on Portobello road, and has been described by Charles McKean in the RIAS guide to Edinburgh as "By far the most distinctive council house development in Edinburgh".
Other nearby listed buildings