This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9609 / 55°57'39"N
Longitude: -3.1711 / 3°10'15"W
OS Eastings: 326985
OS Northings: 674833
OS Grid: NT269748
Mapcode National: GBR 8TB.5N
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.8F6M
Plus Code: 9C7RXR6H+9H
Entry Name: 168 Easter Road, St Margaret's Episcopal Church Including School, Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396618
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49056
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith Walk
Traditional County: Midlothian
West (principal) elevation: finialled, gabled porch with griffin label-stops to narthex; circular carved plaque with date (1880) and initials (St P); 2-leaf timber-boarded door with decorative cast iron hinges in roll-moulded and stop-chamfered surround. Small lancet to right. Paired lancets to nave and returns of west transept. Gable of west transept to left with tripartite cusped window circular hoodmoulded vent above.
North elevation: faceted apse with piended roof to centre; triple-lancet window; single lancets to returns. Gabled porch to outer right; timber panelled door in shoulder-arched, roll-moulded, stop-chamfered opening.
South elevation: tripartite window; small pointed-arch vent to gable apex. Leaded glazing to windows . Graded grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles. Stone skews.
Interior: semicircular arches to transepts. Paired lancets in arched recesses to nave. Stained glass to west wall: SS Margaret and Michael, 1914-18 War Memorial by G Brodrick of Twickenham and SS Andrew and Margaret by William Wilson, 1947. Braced timber wagon-roof supported on carved corbels. Timber pulpit, 1818, with elaborately carved gothic detail; timber side-altar with linen-fold panels and carved reredos. Timber panelled organ, 1893 by Eustace Ingram, rebuilt by same firm in 1945.
Ecclesiatical building in use as such. The plans show a small school attached to the E elevation, which is still in use as a primary school. The Church sits next to the former Guthrie Memorial Church, and the two bring relief and interest to Easter Road. The pulpit came from St Paul s in York Place, of which this was originally a Mission Church.
Minor update to description section in 2018.
Other nearby listed buildings