History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

168 Easter Road, St Margaret's Episcopal Church Including School, Boundary Wall and Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9609 / 55°57'39"N

Longitude: -3.1711 / 3°10'15"W

OS Eastings: 326985

OS Northings: 674833

OS Grid: NT269748

Mapcode National: GBR 8TB.5N

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.8F6M

Entry Name: 168 Easter Road, St Margaret's Episcopal Church Including School, Boundary Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 19 December 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396618

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49056

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Leith Walk

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Leith

Description

Hippolyte J Blanc, 1879 with slightly later west transept. Small cruciform gothic church with finnialed fleche at crossing; 3-bay aisless nave with lean-to narthex to southwest; piend-roofed polygonal apse, transept to west and wing to east (forming small school). Moulded eaves course (bracketted to apse), cill course. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings. Hoodmoulded, pointed arched openings. Bays flanked by buttresses.

West (principal) elevation: finialled, gabled porch with griffin label-stops to narthex; circular carved plaque with date (1880) and initials (St P); 2-leaf timber-boarded door with decorative cast iron hinges in roll-moulded and stop-chamfered surround. Small lancet to right. Paired lancets to nave and returns of west transept. Gable of west transept to left with tripartite cusped window circular hoodmoulded vent above.

North elevation: faceted apse with piended roof to centre; triple-lancet window; single lancets to returns. Gabled porch to outer right; timber panelled door in shoulder-arched, roll-moulded, stop-chamfered opening.

South elevation: tripartite window; small pointed-arch vent to gable apex. Leaded glazing to windows . Graded grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles. Stone skews.

Interior: semicircular arches to transepts. Paired lancets in arched recesses to nave. Stained glass to west wall: SS Margaret and Michael, 1914-18 War Memorial by G Brodrick of Twickenham and SS Andrew and Margaret by William Wilson, 1947. Braced timber wagon-roof supported on carved corbels. Timber pulpit, 1818, with elaborately carved gothic detail; timber side-altar with linen-fold panels and carved reredos. Timber panelled organ, 1893 by Eustace Ingram, rebuilt by same firm in 1945.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiatical building in use as such. The plans show a small school attached to the E elevation, which is still in use as a primary school. The Church sits next to the former Guthrie Memorial Church, and the two bring relief and interest to Easter Road. The pulpit came from St Paul s in York Place, of which this was originally a Mission Church.

Minor update to description section in 2018.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.