This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8539 / 55°51'14"N
Longitude: -4.5707 / 4°34'14"W
OS Eastings: 239178
OS Northings: 665293
OS Grid: NS391652
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.4602
Mapcode Global: WH3P3.R4N4
Entry Name: Bridge of Weir, Kilbarchan Road, St Machar's Ranfurly Church (Church of Scotland) with Lychgate and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 22 January 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396637
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49075
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bishopton, Bridge of Weir and Langbank
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Lewis Shanks, 1877-78; Peter Woodrow, mason contractor. Addition or gallery, 1896, and chancel and session room, Alexander Hislop, 1910. Prominent early gothic rectangular-plan church sited on falling ground. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone with bull-faced dressings, stepped corner buttresses, part string course over basement hall / crypt. Lancet / slender pointed arched windows to nave and choir.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay gabled elevation with buttresses dividing and hoodmould with labelstops to principal openings. Pointed arch door to centre with steps approaching, chamfered and moulded surround, band course above and 3 stepped windows, Arrowslit in gablehead. Galed stone bellcote at apex with 3 bells and cross finial. Outer aisle bays each with window. Door to basement to left of main entrance
E ELEVATION: gable of chancel (Hislop, 1910) to centre, flanked by recessed and lower transepts projecting to N and S. 3 lancets to nave, with 3 windows to basement session room below. Small windows to flanking 2-stage transpets.
N ELEVATION: 5-bay, with projecting transpet to outer left. Paired lancets to 4 bays of nave each with vesica above, breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead. Bipartite windows to hall below each bay of nave.
Transept containing stair, with stepped arrangement of bipartite window, fanlit door with short flight of steps, and 3 narrow stair lights.
S ELEVATION: on higher ground. Transept to outer right with small, narrow windows. 3 paired lancets to nave and 1 bay blank. Window to basement.
Square lead-paned glazing and fine stained glass (see Interior). Stone coped skews. Grey slates; small triangular roof ventilators. Chamfered angles to gablehead stack.
INTERIOR: full pew seating to aisles and nave. Timber dado. Brick-lined chancel with raised black and white marble flooring and organ case (Hislop, 1910). Octagonal carved timber pulpit (1901) and font (1952); panelled front to communion table. Rear gallery. Stained glass windows: 3 lights to chancel attributed to J Stewart, 1900, depicting Salutation of Mary, Birth and Life of Christ, and Tenets of Christian Faith; 3 gallery windows by J S Melville and J Stewart, 1900, depicting theme of 'Suffer little
Children to come unto me'; N aisle window William Wilson, 1946, depicting St George and Disciple; window to centre of N aisle, Herbert Hendrie, 1931, concerning Water of Life; window in N aisle to W, Gordon Webster, 1956, on theme of Education of Children.
LYCHGATE AND BOUNDARY WALL: gabled teaked lychgate of 1936 with gates and segmental arch, billet moulding to gablehead: bargeboarding; slate roof. Semicircular coped rubble boundary walls to N and S.
Listed at Category B particularly on account of its prominent position and fine stained glass windows (Wilson, Webster).
Lewis Shanks was brother of one of the local millowners. The church was opened as a Chapel of Ease on 22 September 1878. In 1887 it was promoted to a quoad sacra parish church, gaining the name 'St Machar's' during the incumbency of Rev Shand before 1939, and in 1968, merging with another congregation to become known as 'St Machar's Ranfurly'
Other nearby listed buildings