History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jeffrey Street, Wall, Vaults, Railings and Pier

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9514 / 55°57'5"N

Longitude: -3.1853 / 3°11'6"W

OS Eastings: 326082

OS Northings: 673788

OS Grid: NT260737

Mapcode National: GBR 8QG.92

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.1NHY

Entry Name: Jeffrey Street, Wall, Vaults, Railings and Pier

Listing Date: 24 January 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396645

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49085

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1875. Curved retaining wall to falling ground at N of Jeffrey Street, with round-arched vaults beneath (to East Market Street) diminishing in size from E to W with fall of street. Abuts tenement at E end. Ashlar-coped squared and snecked rock-cut sandstone; rusticated voussoirs to vaults. Moulded string course to E. Cast-iron railings, bowed stays and finials to recessed section to W. Corniced octagonal sandstone terminal pier to W end (possibly previously lamp standard), topped by modern wrought-iron flower. Boarded timber doors to vaults; brick infill with louvred openings to arches to E, some fretted ventilation panels to W.

Statement of Interest

Jeffrey Street was formed under the City Improvement Act of 1867. The building of Jeffrey Street necessitated the demolition of many old houses at the top of the former Leith Wynd and in the closes to SW. Below the street was the site of Trinity College Church, founded by Mary of Gueldres in 1460 and demolished by the North British Railway Company to make way for the railway line into Waverley Station (partially rebuilt in Chalmers Close by John Lessels in 1872), and of the original Physic Garden. The original intention was to continue the building line on the NE side of the street, but after a public outcry (see Cockburn Society minute, and letter from the RSA [secretary J Dick Peddie], pointing to the deleterious effect 'not merely on the amenity of Jeffrey Street,' but also on the views approaching the city by rail from the S, from Waterloo Place and from the North Bridge) it was decided not to build on the N side of the street, and the site was ceded to the North British Railway Company by the Town Council and the Improvement Trust on condition that any building on the site 'shall not exceed in height the finished level of the carriageway of Jeffrey Street.'

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.