This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8821 / 55°52'55"N
Longitude: -2.9588 / 2°57'31"W
OS Eastings: 340119
OS Northings: 665859
OS Grid: NT401658
Mapcode National: GBR 70SF.78
Mapcode Global: WH7V7.JF80
Entry Name: Redrow Cottages
Listing Date: 26 February 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396664
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49109
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
1892. Six 3-bay, single storey rectangular-plan farm cottages divided into 2 terraces. Tooled coursed pink sandstone with dressed red sandstone ashlar long and short quoins, pink sandstone sills.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: six cottages each comprising: central doorway with red ashlar margins, timber panelled door with small glazed fanlight above, window with chamfered red sandstone margins and projecting sill flanking.
W & E ELEVATIONS: blind wall with small rectangular window to rear of property (rectangular red post-box inset to right on W gable of W terrace), overhanging eaves with projecting ornamental bargeboards to apex of gable; gablehead stack.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: similar plan to front, although some cottages with single storey late 20th century extensions.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front, 8-pane sash and case to sides. Gabled/pitched grey slate roof with stone ridging tiles, exposed rafters and purlins supporting large triangular timber barge board with curved bracket in-fill and lower finial. Green painted guttering with replacement plastic down-pipes. Square sandstone stacks to gables of W range with projecting moulded neck copes and single octagonal can, triple cans to 2 central rectangular stacks; matching rectangular stacks with paired octagonal cans to gables of E range, triple canned to 2 central stacks (middle can missing on centre right stack), zinc flashing to bases of all stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Rebuilt on the site of former cottages in 1892 at Rosemains in the Preston Hall Estate, these little-altered cottages represent one of the few "new build" projects to take place in the parish at the end of the 19th century. The six cottages are split into 2 terraces of three cottages. Each cottage has its own strip of flowerbed to the front of the property and a contained garden to the rear. The neighbouring parish Crichton saw planned farm worker's housing built around this time on a farm also owned by the Preston Hall Estate. Red Row is built using design principles of much older, traditional farm cottages. The steep pitch of the roof and relatively low height of the walls resemble the earlier cottages in nearby Pathhead, which are believed to have been thatched.
Other nearby listed buildings