History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leithen Water, Bridge (Near Golf Course)

A Category C Listed Building in Innerleithen, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6374 / 55°38'14"N

Longitude: -3.057 / 3°3'25"W

OS Eastings: 333560

OS Northings: 638710

OS Grid: NT335387

Mapcode National: GBR 7327.ZZ

Mapcode Global: WH7WC.0KLN

Entry Name: Leithen Water, Bridge (Near Golf Course)

Listing Date: 10 March 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396683

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49127

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Innerleithen

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East

Parish: Innerleithen

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Innerleithen

Description

Later 19th century. Single segmental-span road bridge in rural setting. Coursed local whinstone rubble with polished red sandstone voussoirs, coping and quoins.

N & S ELEVATIONS: segmental arch spanning river with sandstone voussoirs, plain rubble wall forming spandrels, parapet and flat wing walls (all with flat red sandstone coping); slightly advanced wall with red sandstone quoins to SW supporting bridge and following line of bank.

Statement of Interest

This bridge was built to replace a ford that formerly traversed the Leithen Water (which rises from a spring call the Eye, flowing 12 miles and falling 1293 feet in height). It is sited at one of the few remaining sections where the river follows the same course as it did in the mid-19th century. Upstream, the river followed a meandering path, whilst downstream the route was slightly to the east and was occasionally split by small islets. It is the 2nd largest river in the parish after the Tweed and was prone to flooding. One of the worst floods was in 1891 and threatened to destroy the whole valley as well causing severe damage to the adjacent roadway and houses in Innerleithen. The road this bridge serves was originally made in 1794 and kept useable by means of subscription. It runs north towards Heriot in Midlothian. The road was "remade" and upgraded in 1835. The bridge appears between the 1st and 2nd Ordnance survey maps, around the time Leithen Lodge was purchased and extended by John Miller, civil engineer (renowned for his railways) and when Innerleithen Golf Club was formed. Listed as a good example of a rural simple bridge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.