History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walkerburn, Galashiels Road, Holly House (Former Walkerburn Parish Church Manse)

A Category C Listed Building in Innerleithen, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6247 / 55°37'29"N

Longitude: -3.0111 / 3°0'40"W

OS Eastings: 336424

OS Northings: 637258

OS Grid: NT364372

Mapcode National: GBR 73DD.WJ

Mapcode Global: WH7WC.QW9D

Entry Name: Walkerburn, Galashiels Road, Holly House (Former Walkerburn Parish Church Manse)

Listing Date: 10 March 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396693

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49132

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Innerleithen

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East

Parish: Innerleithen

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Walkerburn

Description

Attributed to Robert Mathison, circa 1875. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan gothic former manse with projecting gable and canted bay windows; set on terraced hillside. Coursed sandstone ashlar with vermiculated quoins, polished ashlar base and band courses. Polished ashlar window surrounds with chamfered arrises and lintels; sandstone ashlar mullions. Skew gabled with moulded putts.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: flight of ashlar steps with plain ashlar wall and low terminating piers flanking, leading to entrance terrace of house. Central entrance: ashlar step leading to slightly projecting door surround with chamfered arrises, timber panelled door with plain rectangular glazed fanlight and slightly projecting rectangular cornice and lintel; to right, slightly advanced rectangular bay with tripartite window (wide central bay with narrow sidelights). Advanced gable to left with 2-storey canted bay window (bipartite windows to centre with canted sidelights at ground and 1st floor) terminating in moulded cornice; bipartite windows to centre and right of 1st floor. To left of attic level, paired arched windows to gablehead of advanced gable end, slightly overhanging skews forming gablehead cornice and terminating in ashlar ball and spike finial; to right, pitched-roof timber gabled dormer with slated cheeks.

W ELEVATION: near blind harled elevation with single window to extreme left of ground and 1st floor, gablehead stack surmounting.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: fairly regular fenestration with single storey, harled outhouse extension to right.

E ELEVATION: gable end similar to W elevation.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper floors; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to principal ground floor rooms; small arched top bipartite to attic with 2-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Pitched purple slate roof with lead ridging and flashing; gabled timber dormer with pitched slate roof and slated cheeks. Painted cast-iron rainwater. Coursed sandstone ashlar gablehead stacks to E and W with projecting moulded neck copes and 4 and 5 cans.

INTERIOR: retaining original room layout with large reception rooms to ground floor and timber dog leg staircase. Original woodwork such as panelled doors and skirting boards still survive along with some fire surrounds.

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-Group with Walkerburn Parish Church. Until the middle of the 19th century, the only trace of habitation in this area was Caberston farmhouse and steading. The village grew up around the textile mills of Tweedvale and Tweedholm of Henry Ballantyne the founder of the village. He was also responsible for the earliest workers' housing and laying out the village we see today. By his death in 1865, Walkerburn was a flourishing manufacturing village with a population of just under 800 people. The company and the welfare of its staff were passed to his five sons until 1870 when 3 of them left to run a mill in Innerleithen. David and John Ballantyne remained in charge of the Walkerburn mills and set about improving not only their own housing, but also the amenities of the village. Until 1875, religious services had been held in the village school. This was not really convenient as the school was used for all village activities. The minister (the Rev. Alexander Williamson), David and John Ballantyne and others in the village managed to have Walkerburn converted into a parish quoad sacra and erect a church (later extended and listed separately) and manse. The manse remained in use until a few years ago when it was sold by the church and is now private residential accommodation. The architect / builder is believed to be Robert Mathison, a local man, who was responsible for many buildings in the area; this former manse is reminiscent of his villas, especially the use of the decorative quoins. Listed as a good example of a relatively unaltered later 19th century manse retaining original features such as stacks, gable finial, glazing and some interior features.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.