This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1419 / 57°8'30"N
Longitude: -2.8572 / 2°51'25"W
OS Eastings: 348222
OS Northings: 805994
OS Grid: NJ482059
Mapcode National: GBR WN.433Q
Mapcode Global: WH7N3.2RP9
Entry Name: Douneside House Including Home Farmhouse, Garden Wall and Cheese Press, Alpha Cottage, Gate Lodge, Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 March 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396728
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49159
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1907 but probably the product of three phases circa 1907 - circa 1917 (some work by Clement George), built on late 19th century core. 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan asymmetrical Scots Revival house with 2-stage castellated entrance tower to centre and additional single storey, gabled bay to outer right. Harled granite with polished granite margins to openings and detailing. Base course, eaves course, crowstepped gables.
South (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-stage, square-plan entrance tower to centre, rollmoulded reveal to entrance,continous string course over plaque bearing inscription, AR 1907. Tall rectangular window to 2nd stage with oculus above. Tower terminating in crenellated parapet. Symmetrical flanking bays comprising stone mullioned bipartite windows to ground, semicircular-arched pediments to wallhead dormers breaking eaves above, lean-to verandah supported on 'Highland' pine log columns. Shouldered gable to slightly advanced bay to outer left, advanced canted bay to ground with crenellated parapet, corbelled corner turret with candle-snuffer roof to outer left corner. Single storey gabled bay to outer right, swept roof advanced canted bay to ground.
North (REAR) ELEVATION: slightly irregular fenestration to rear with gabled wallhead dormers breaking eaves.
East (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to outer right, corbelled right return, corbelled oriel window to left return. Service courtyard to centre with numerous modern additions. Broad gable end to outer left arm of courtyard, left return to main elevation.
West (SIDE) ELEVATION: single bay continuation of main elevation to right, returns to gable end abutting gable end of main block to left. Irregular, 2-storey arrangement of gables and turrets forming additional range abutting northwest corner terminating in octagonal summerhouse.
Multi-pane upper case, plate glass lower, sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped gable stacks.
INTERIOR: timber panelled lobby leading to ornately carved central staircase. Coffered panelled ceinling to room to right, Adam-style plasterwork to ceiling to room to left.
HOME FARMHOUSE: Circa 1900. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan farmhouse. Granite courses. Stone mullioned, bipartite windows flanking central doorway to south-facing, principal elevation. Gabled dormers breaking eaves to upper storey. 2-storey, 2-bay, advanced gabled bay to rear with cat-slide roof over single storey outhouse to left return. Stone cheese press to coped rubble garden wall. 4-pane upper case, plate glass lower, sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped skews with scrolled skewputts and gable stacks.
ALPHA COTTAGE: Circa 1900. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan timber kit house with hipped corrugated iron roof. Central doorway flanked by canted by windows. Tall harled brick gable stacks.
GATEHOUSE: single storey, double bay, cruciform-plan, Scots Revival style gatehouse. Harled granite with moulded and painted margins to openings and quoins. Crowstepped gables. Angled, advanced entrance porch with crenellated parapet inset to corner facing road. Tripartite stepped rectangular windows to gable ends with blind arrowslits to gableheads. Small flat roofed extension to rear.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble granite wall terminating in square-plan droved granite granite piers with tall pyramidal caps.
Scots Revial style mansion house in the contemporary style of R S Lorimer. The site, originally called Burnside, was purchased in 1888 by Sir Alexander MacRobert (1854 - 1922), the Aberdeen born India cotton baron for his parents who had returned from their emigration to Canada. From 1907he gradually converted and enlarged an earlier farmhouse, probably a late 19th century single storey three-bay structure with gabled roof inset with canted dormers, to form the present Scots Revival mansion, which was lived in by his widow, Rachel Workman, Lady MacRobert from 1913 until her death in 1952. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects suggests Clement George (1879-1932), an Aberdeen architect, worked on this property.
The surrounding Cromar estate was bought from the Marquis of Aberdeen in 1905 by Sir Alex to settle the Marquis and Marchioness' bills, largely run up through their public service work. The estate, now the MacRobert Estate Trust, includes Alastrean House (see separate listing), most of Tarland village and the surrounding tenant farms.
Listed building record updated in 2014.
Other nearby listed buildings