History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Queensferry, Ferry Road, Ferrycraigs House

A Category C Listed Building in Inverkeithing, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0111 / 56°0'40"N

Longitude: -3.4044 / 3°24'16"W

OS Eastings: 312531

OS Northings: 680688

OS Grid: NT125806

Mapcode National: GBR 20.T93T

Mapcode Global: WH6S9.P51M

Entry Name: North Queensferry, Ferry Road, Ferrycraigs House

Listing Date: 27 March 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396742

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49170

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Inverkeithing

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
North Queensferry

Description

Henry F Kerr, dated 1901. 2-storey, 5-bay near rectangular-plan Arts and Crafts house. Rendered and part-tiled with red Rosemary tiles; rendered stone cills. Conical roofed tower; central glazed porch; timber horizontal balustraded balcony; box windows; prominent snecked and coursed rubble splayed chimneystacks; red Rosemary tiled roof.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central recessed section with full-height conical-roofed tower to left with red sandstone dentilled cornice and lead finial. Glazed porch with plain rose motif stained glass to upper transom lights; rendered base; timber and glazed door to right. Porch enclosing central canted tripartite window; entrance door to right; small window to base of corner tower to left; black and white floor tiles. Horizontal timber balustraded balcony above porch; narrow door to tower to balcony left; large 4-light Diocletian and stained glass window to right. Central section flanked by advanced gable fronted bays. 3-light with side lights box windows to ground and 1st floor with tiled section between floors; tiled jettied gable above. 2 3-light ground floor canted oriel windows to left; 3-light shallow box window with tiled section below at 1st floor; tiled and bargeboarded gablehead.

E ELEVATION: 2-bay gable to right (1st floor level tiled). 2 ground floor windows to right (left-hand window smaller); full-height slightly advanced shouldered and splayed breaking eaves chimneystack to left of gable end with flanking canted inglenook, windows with bracketed and tiled ridges above. Small 1st floor window to right of stack; 1st floor canted 3-light bay window centred below jettied gable to right. Rendered and bargeboarded gablehead with scrolled cartouche dated '1901'.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 ground floor windows of various sizes; timber door to penultimate bay right. 3 1st floor windows towards centre (that to far right breaking eaves). 2 wallhead chimneystacks breaking eaves (1st floor level partially tiled to left).

W ELEVATION: 2-bay gable to left. Ground floor window off-centre left; 3-light canted bay window to far right. 2 timber-framed and bracketed 1st floor windows centred under gablehead; wallhead stacks flanked by overhanging eaves.

Predominantly 4- and 6-pane timber windows above lower plate glass; modern metal replica windows to S 1st floor windows. Pitched roofs; conical roof to tower; red Rosemary tiles; bargeboarding decorated with large rivets; bracketed eaves; 4 corniced wallhead stacks; 1 small corniced gablehead stack to W; central corniced stack to S elevation; circular clay cans.

INTERIOR: former half-timbered billiard room to E, timber beams to ceiling; arched inglenook; mahogany mantelpiece with classical over-mantel. Ground floor dining room to W, architraved alcoved bay windows. Double-height hall, Neo-classical style fireplace; timber balustraded staircase to front elevation; small cloakroom to middle landing with original semi-circular handbasin; arches to upper landing, consoles and 2 round plaster cartouches depicting art and music. Former drawing room at 1st floor to E, Adam-revival plasterwork ceiling; built-in window bench.

Statement of Interest

This house was built for Patrick Craig Marshall (possibly an architect/artist) to the W of the former farm at Ferrybarns on land formerly belonging to the Guildry of Dunfermline. The house was later purchased in 1948 by the Forth Road Bridge Company prior to the building of the bridge and was occupied by the company until 1978. The house, located on a prominent coastal site to the W of the Forth Road Bridge (see separate listing), boasts a striking exterior with its use of red coloured tiles. Although this house may not be considered among the most outstanding of the Scottish Arts and Crafts houses, it has retained most of its original features including many artistic details typical of the movement, including an open-plan, inglenook and decorative woodwork. Henry Francis Kerr ARIBA, FSAScot (1855-1946) was articled to F T Pilkington and John Bell of Edinburgh from 1873-1878 and was later a draughtsman in the same practice. Kerr commenced independent practice in Edinburgh in 1881 and was president of the Edinburgh Architectural Association in 1900. Kerr was mostly known for his domestic and church architecture. Among his other commissions were the church of St Oswald's, Montpelier, Bruntsfield (1899-1900); student settlement and mission buildings, The Pleasance, Edinburgh (1893); a proposal for Trinity Congregational (1895); Dalry Mission Buildings (1898); and St Peter's Episcopal Church, Inverkeithing (1903). He also designed a number of Arts and Crafts houses in the Edinburgh suburbs, in particular that at 7 Pentland Avenue, Colinton, which displays many similar features to Ferrycraigs House.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.