This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9645 / 55°57'52"N
Longitude: -3.2057 / 3°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 324833
OS Northings: 675268
OS Grid: NT248752
Mapcode National: GBR 8L9.4C
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.QBPW
Plus Code: 9C7RXQ7V+RP
Entry Name: Royal Botanic Garden, Inverleith Row, Caledonian Hall (Former Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society Hall)
Listing Date: 4 June 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396793
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49214
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverleith
Traditional County: Midlothian
David Cousin, 1842-3. Single-storey and basement, 5-bay Picturesque cottage style assembly hall with very deep eaves supported on bossed ornamental brackets, decorative bargeboards, advanced open-pedimented central bay with 2-leaf timber panelled door, window above and decorative bargeboards to pediment; small wings with corniced wallhead stacks to outer right and left. Squared coursed sandstone with droved ashlar dressings to principal elevation and sides. Random rubble to rear. Long and short ashlar quoins; slightly raised window and door margins. Regularly fenestrated with tall windows to principal elevation; basement windows below; irregular arrangement of doors and windows at basement to rear.
Timber sash and case windows; border-glazed to principal elevation, 4-pane glazing to rear. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: depressed-arch coffered ceiling to main hall with decorative trusses, corbels and bosses.
A-Group with Inverleith House, 1858 Palm House and 1834 Palm Stove, Linnaeus Monument, 1967 Greenhouse, East and West Gates, Gardener's Cottage, and the Laboratory and Lecture Hall Buildings at 20a Inverleith Row. The Royal Botanic Garden is included in the Inventory Of Gardens And Designed Landscapes In Scotland, Site Number 216.
The South-East corner of the present Botanical Garden was the garden of the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society until 1863 when it was purchased by the Royal Botanical Garden. This building was erected by the society as a museum, library, lecture room, exhibition hall, and "place of general resort for the society's members". It was built and furnished at a cost of #843/1s/9d, which was raised by the members through voluntary subscriptions. The architect was David Cousin, who became the Edinburgh City architect in 1847. The hall was built in the decorative Italianate/Jacobethan cottage style that was made popular by the architect JC Loudon. Cottages with very similar detailing are to seen in his "Encyclopaedia of Cottage, Farm and Villa Architecture". After 1863 the hall was used by the Botanic Garden as a herbarium, until the New Herbarium was built in 1964. The hall is now used for exhibitions and flower displays.
Other nearby listed buildings