This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5192 / 55°31'9"N
Longitude: -2.7308 / 2°43'51"W
OS Eastings: 353951
OS Northings: 625296
OS Grid: NT539252
Mapcode National: GBR 94CM.KB
Mapcode Global: WH7X3.0JWR
Entry Name: Lilliesleaf Church of Scotland Kirk Graveyard, Walls and Gravestones
Listing Date: 23 June 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396826
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49293
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Probably 17th century and later. Rubble-walled graveyard with 2 early roofless enclosures, burial grounds of Riddell and Stewart families (see Notes).
W ENCLOSURE: 2 adjoining rectangles of random rubble with large roughly-squared quoins, flat- and semicircular-coped. Enclosure to W with shallow-pitched elevations to N and S, that to S with arrowslit and deep niche above; W elevation with segmental-arched voussoired opening of ashlar. Interior with fine relief carved stone, pediment showing skeleton and hour glass with gentleman resting hand on coffin?, upright has flanking Ionic-capitalled pilasters and centre swag with cherub head, inscription eroded. Rectangle to E with oversailing segmental arch, and large inscribed mural stone 'The Burial Ground of John Govan Stewart Esq Hermiston'.
E ENCLOSURE: rectangular-plan rubble enclosure with deep saddleback-coped wallhead, arrowslit opening to shallow-pitched gable at S and keystoned arch with ironwork gates to E; carved stone with coat-of-arms and initials 'M S'. Low-walled open enclosure to N, opening flanked by ball finials. Interior with inscribed mural monuments; stone worded 'Granted by the heritors of Lilliesleaf to be as it used to be the Burial Ground of the Family of Sir Walter Buchanan Riddell of that ilk Baronet upon whose request Mark Sprot Esq the Proprietor of the Estate of Riddell relinquished his claim to this Aisle at a meeting held on the 14? December 1837'.
Gravestones predominantly moulded apex style with inscriptions, including pedimented ashlar sentry box-type stone with fluted pilasters commemorating 'John Knox, Tenant in Faldonside who died 26th January 1832'; carving in high relief of young girl holding flower set into deep alcove and surmounted by angel wings (no visible inscription); later plainer stone within enclosure of decorative cast-iron set into low saddleback-coped wall, to 'William Currie of Linthill, died 1889'.
Group with Lilliesleaf Kirk. The earliest church on this site dating from 1110, was a missionary outreach of the Bishop of Glasgow. It was sited at the highest part of the graveyard now occupied by the two ruined aisles (see above), burial grounds of the Riddells of Riddell, Riddells of Muselie and Stewarts of Hermiston. The next church on this site was built in 1430 and condemned 1771 at which time the current Kirk (listed separately) was erected slightly north and west of the old site.
Other nearby listed buildings