This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0753 / 55°4'31"N
Longitude: -4.1412 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 263392
OS Northings: 577742
OS Grid: NX633777
Mapcode National: GBR 4X.Q6W9
Mapcode Global: WH4V4.CP7L
Plus Code: 9C7Q3VG5+4G
Entry Name: The Old School, Glenkens Community Arts Centre with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 8 July 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396840
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49306
Building Class: Cultural
Location: New Galloway
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Town: New Galloway
Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Later 19th century. Single storey gabled, L-plan former school with plain gothic window detailing, lean-to in re-entrant angle, and projecting coal store and later corrugated sheet metal addition to rear. Large blocks of squared and snecked bull-faced granite; painted, stop-chamfered window margins.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tall gabled hall block running E-W to N, with 2 narrow pointed arch windows and framed panel of heraldic shield in gablehead (with motto 'Forward'). 4 irregular bays of lower block running N-S, with catslide roof to re-entrant lean-to, window, and blocked former door on return, flanked by fanlit doorway (non-traditional door) and further window. Broad gable to outer left with segmental-arched window with stone Y-tracery.
Plate glass, timber sash and case windows (boarded up, 2003). Graded Lancashire slates (some Welsh slate repairs). Zinc and stone flashings. 1 metal ridge ventilator remaining. Carved bargeboarding to eaves with exposed rafters.
INTERIOR: briefly, hall to north and large room to S, linked by entrance vestibule, leading to rear extension. High plain dado. Hall with 2 droved stone chimneypieces; trusses to roof (later ceiling insterted). Further stone chimneypiee to second room. Pair of large enamel sinks in corrugated extension.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: rubble boundary walls with flat, stone coping. Pair of arch-headed stone gatepiers. Iron railings and gates to pedestrian and vehicular entrances.
The Old School sits prominently on a bend, in a dip in the entrance to the town's main street. Boarded windows (glazing present) and the absence of former stacks jeopardise its humble charm. Probably dating in its current form to after the 1872 Education Act, it occupies a site graced by a school for two centuries (initially the Kells Parochial School, see NSA). Groome states that the school could accommodate 190 children but that the average attendance at this time was around 100. The former school house lies to the north east. The school closed as such in 1968 and after a variety of uses, was acquired by the Glenkens Community Arts Trust in 2001 for #20,000. The 'Cat Strand' which passes directly under the school is a relatively unusual spring which never runs dry.
Other nearby listed buildings