This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1533 / 57°9'11"N
Longitude: -2.0847 / 2°5'5"W
OS Eastings: 394972
OS Northings: 806935
OS Grid: NJ949069
Mapcode National: GBR SFB.W3
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.YGFL
Plus Code: 9C9V5W38+84
Entry Name: 'Satrosphere', 179 Constitution Street, Former Tramway Depot
Listing Date: 8 July 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396843
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49309
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Jenkins and Marr, 1885; substantially remodelled by City Architects Department, 1920. Long rectangular plan building with asymmetrical classical 2-storey, 7-bay principal elevation; single storey (predominantly double-height) to rear. Tooled coursed granite ashlar with finely finished margins to principal elevation; coursed granite rubble, Aberdeen bond in some areas, to remainder. Bull-faced base course; ground floor cill course; dividing band between ground and 1st floors; 1st floor cill course; band course above 1st floor; eaves cornice / band.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre, advanced 3-bay pedimented central block; to ground floor, to centre bay, pilastered and architraved doorpiece with stone steps leading to modern glazed door; to left and right bays, corniced single windows. To 1st floor, to centre bay, bipartite corniced window flanked to left and right bays by corniced single windows; to centre of pediment, blind oculus with moulded surround. To left of central block, stepped down recessed 2-bay linking section; to left bay, large opening with glazed doors and infill screen, modern glazed canopy above; to right bay, single windows to ground and 1st floors. To far left, advanced single-bay pavilion with shallow segmentally-arched opening, with modern glazing infill, to ground floor; single window to 1st floor. To right of central block, recessed single bay block with pediment to centre flanked by lower shaped skews; to centre, double-height basket-arched opening with raised bull-faced long and short quoins and voussoirs, infilled by modern glazed screen and door; modern glazed canopy between ground and 1st floors.
To far right, single storey flat-roofed section; Aberdeen-bond granite ashlar; door to centre.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: formed of 2 gables; advanced gable to left of predominantly modern construction; blank gable to right.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: predominantly blank elevation; advanced to left, 5-bay single-storey building (see above).
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: predominantly blank; advanced section to right; modern brick lean-to extension to ground floor to left.
GLAZING etc: predominantly modern glazing in metal frames. Predominantly grey slate pitched roofs; some corrugated roof coverings to rear; predominantly stone skews. Corniced masonry wallhead stacks to left and right of central block; corniced gable-head apex stack to rear of central block.
INTERIOR: to interior of centre block, dog-leg stair with ornate cast-iron balusters to upper flight and landing; some timber panelling to stair and landing; to 1st floor landing, pilastered and architraved round-arched opening. Remainder of interior now largely open plan, with modern additions and mezzanine floor.
Listed for its architectural contribution to the streetscape and for local social and historical value.
Jenkins and Marr originally built 179 Constitution Street as public swimming baths, including two pools (a first class pool and a second class pool) with dressing boxes flanking each. A gallery overlooked the pools.
The swimming baths were extensively remodelled to form a tramway depot in 1920. Aberdeen's tramway network was one of the most progressive and up-to-date in Britain until its closure in 1955. Three tramway companies shared the city's network: Aberdeen District Tramways Co, Aberdeen Corporation Tramways and Aberdeen Suburban Tramways Co. Aberdeen District Tramways established horse lines in 1874, which were electrified and extended during 1899-1902.
In 2000-2001, 179 Constitution Street underwent change of use and alterations to become the Satrosphere science education centre.
Other nearby listed buildings