This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4467 / 56°26'48"N
Longitude: -6.8968 / 6°53'48"W
OS Eastings: 98359
OS Northings: 739040
OS Grid: NL983390
Mapcode National: GBR 9CCP.1RR
Mapcode Global: WGXB9.1726
Plus Code: 9C8MC4W3+M7
Entry Name: Hynish, Hynish Farm Steading
Listing Date: 30 July 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396848
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49356
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Early 19th century. Farm steading comprising long, simple byre/store linked by low stone wall to smaller symmetrical stables and cartshed in an L-plan arrangement; all with low wallheads and openings set close to eaves. Random rubble with slaister pointing, pitched West Highland grey slates to roofs, partially deteriorated to NE of byre/store (2003).
Byre/store: 3 evenly spaced doorways to NE elevation of byre, opening in SE gable wall and single door in SW elevation, numerous rooflights to NE. Stable and cartshed: 2 segmentally headed cart openings to NW elevation of cartshed (1 now blocked) with flanking doors leading to stables, rooflight above left stable. Some timber boarded doors remaining.
Listed as the best-preserved stone-built steading from the early 19th century on Tiree. Its proximity to the category A listed Lighthouse Establishment adds value to its setting. Hynish farm steading would have served nearby Hynish House (formally known as Hynish Farm), but it is now disassociated from the house (2003).
The byre/store is split into 3 chambers corresponding with the doors to the NE enabling the building to be flexible and multi-functional. There is a stone walled pen attached to E end of the byre/store which was used to hold animals. The Argyll Estate Map of 1830 shows Hynish as a small community with the steading, farmhouse and other buildings. These other buildings were most probably cleared away in 1837 when the Commissioners of the Lighthouse Board bought a large plot of land adjacent to the steading from the Argyll Estate. This purchase of land was precipitated by the decision that a lighthouse should be built on the perilous stretch of rocks at Skerryvore, 11 miles off the S coast of Tiree. Alan Stevenson, the engineer of this scheme, also decided that a lighthouse establishment should be built allowing the constant servicing and maintenance of the lighthouse. From 1837 to 1843 a harbour, signal tower, housing, stores, dam and walled garden were built (see separate listing), [works consulted: J Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland 2. The Highlands and Islands (1977) p.167; RCAHMS, Inventory Of Monuments Of Argyll Vol. 3 (1980) pp.249-250, Plate 100; F Walker, The Buildings Of Scotland Argyll and Bute (2000) pp.594-600]. The steading is situated to the SW of the lighthouse establishment and although predating the scheme, must have played a role in the lighthouse community, most likely supplying beef and dairy produce. In 1892 the Commissioners decided to close the establishment and relocate it to Mull. The land and buildings, apart from the signal tower passed back into the hands of the Argyll Estate. The steading now stands empty (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings