History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cardrona House, Lodge

A Category C Listed Building in Traquair, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.633 / 55°37'58"N

Longitude: -3.1054 / 3°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 330505

OS Northings: 638264

OS Grid: NT305382

Mapcode National: GBR 63R9.HK

Mapcode Global: WH6V6.8PH2

Entry Name: Cardrona House, Lodge

Listing Date: 12 August 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396860

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49365

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Traquair

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Innerleithen

Description

Later 19th century. Single-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan picturesque lodge with castellated side bay and later gabled extension of similar style to rear. Coursed and polished ashlar sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Chamfered arrises to most windows; base course to all.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre, open timber porch comprising projecting pitched canopy, gabled end with braced brackets, timber in-fill, carved drop finial and apex finial; supported by heavy turned and chamfered timber posts with decorative timber rails; panelled entrance door. To flanks, plain window with chamfered arrises.

E ELEVATION: wide gabled end with central 3-light bay window with castellated parapet; overhanging eaves with plain barge boarding and timber braced gable; similar recessed gable to right with plain window in lieu of bay.

8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Pitched grey slate roof with lead ridging, flashings and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar stack to centre of roofline with projecting ashlar neck cope, originally with paired octagonal cans (one now replaced).

INTERIOR: not seen, 2002 but in use as residential accommodation.

Statement of Interest

This lodge is sited on the B7062. This is part of one of the oldest estates in the parish, being known until circa 1465 as Easter Hopkailzie. The boundary of Easter and Wester Hopkailzie occurred near Kirkburn, with the lands to the east being known as Cardrona (and those to the west becoming known as Kailzie). The Govan family held the property until 1685 when they sold it to James Williamson of Hutcheonfield, the family with whom it stayed (via the Ker family) into the 20th century. The house was built in 1841 for Captain James Ker Williamson to replace the earlier house, which was retained for 'offices'. This later lodge was built on a formerly wooded area at the end of a new drive. Previously access was through 2 separate drives, neither of which had lodges. The northern most T-plan drive was a relatively plain affair; it followed a field boundary and was screened from the house by a landscaped area of mixed trees. Primarily, carts and workers in the general running of the estate used it. It was a back way to the new house that led to the stables, kennels, walled garden and estate workers housing. The formal drive to the house was sited a little to the south of the present drive. It wound through a landscaped wooded area and drew up in front of the house. This new drive cut through a former area of parkland between the older drives in a sweeping arc. The old formal drive was no longer used but the other still remains in use. The lodge is listed as a good example of a 19th century estate building with original features (timber porch, sash and case windows, castellated bay, bracketed eaves and braced gables) retained.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.