History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kailzie, Former Game Larders

A Category C Listed Building in Traquair, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6358 / 55°38'8"N

Longitude: -3.142 / 3°8'31"W

OS Eastings: 328207

OS Northings: 638613

OS Grid: NT282386

Mapcode National: GBR 63H8.KK

Mapcode Global: WH6V5.QL0X

Entry Name: Kailzie, Former Game Larders

Listing Date: 12 August 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396864

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49369

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Traquair

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Peebles

Description

Circa 1810 for Robert Nutter Campbell. Single storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan vernacular game larder range (containing 2 larders). Coursed random rubble with droved ashlar dressings and projecting margins and sills; ashlar hoodmoulds with vertical rubble in-fill.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: plain with hoodmoulded windows to outer bays and hoodmoulded doors to inner bays (timber boarded door to left, 2-leaf boarded door to right).

NE ELEVATION: blind end with partial remains of adjacent single storey building adjoining: similarly detailed blind door (droved quoins and polished margin) and inset stone with blind quatrefoil detail to right.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: regularly placed pair of windows in otherwise blind wall.

SW ELEVATION: blind end.

8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to SE elevation; plate glass sash and case windows to rear; plain iron bars protect each window. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridging and flashing. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. No stacks.

INTERIOR: divided in two, each with separate door and basic interior with half-height tongue and groove panelled walls, some timber benching and deep window sills.

Statement of Interest

Part of Kailzie Gardens. This game larder is part of the surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished in the later 20th century. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house complex is this small building that was across the burn from the courtyard buildings; a pond now marks the spot of the main house. The game larder is sited to the SE of the dovecote (listed separately). Originally it had a walled enclosure to the rear of the building, extending into what is now the children's' play area. The interior is divided into 2, with each side having its own entrance door leading into a room with a window looking towards the house and main drive and a small window to the rear overlooking the former enclosure and dovecote. The interiors are quite basic with benches running the length of one side. To the N, the remains of a smaller, older structure can be found. Half of the front wall is in situ and a door once led into the room lit by small quatrefoil windows. This area is serviced by a smaller drive, which runs diagonally from the main drive and across the front of this building. It meets up with a plain stone bridge (less formal than the ball finialled main drive bridge) that crosses the burn and once led to the courtyard offices attached to the main house. The Kailzie landscape is open to the public and contains a tea room and shop within the stable courtyard, as well as a walled garden with a 'Regency' style greenhouse (all listed separately). Listed as a good example of a relatively unaltered estate building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.