This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6405 / 55°38'25"N
Longitude: -3.1543 / 3°9'15"W
OS Eastings: 327439
OS Northings: 639154
OS Grid: NT274391
Mapcode National: GBR 63D6.XV
Mapcode Global: WH6V5.JH58
Entry Name: Kailzie, Scots Mill, Miller's House
Listing Date: 21 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396865
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49370
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
1812 for Robert Nutter Campbell; altered mid and late 20th century. 1?-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Gothic former miller's house with later single storey, single bay wings, one leading to adjoined 1?-storey, L-plan gabled outbuilding (now altered to form accommodation), all built into hill to rear. Local random whinstone rubble with red sandstone dressings and hoodmoulds; ashlar facings and dressings and harled return to E wing. Bracketed swept eaves to main house and overhanging roofs to gabletted dormers and entrance bay.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: main 1?-storey, 3-bay house to left: slightly advanced central entrance gable with full height pointed-arch detail and hoodmould containing 2-leaf timber entrance door to ground floor with studded arched panels and arched tracery fanlight surmounting (all within plain whinstone margin surround with plain bracketed canopy), above to ?-storey: pointed arch window with projecting sill and flush whinstone margins; hoodmoulded square windows containing arched bipartite lights flank entrance door and aligned to attic gabletted dormers with arched windows. Adjoining to left, slightly recessed single storey, single bay piended wing (with door against main house). Adjoining to right, single storey, single bay, flat-roofed extension (with square window to centre containing arch-headed bipartite light) linking to gable of 1?-storey outbuilding with similarly styled paired square windows to ground floor and single window to gablehead (for rest of outbuilding elevations see W ELEVATION).
E ELEVATION: blind gabled end with later single storey, piend roofed wing off centre right (see N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION).
W ELEVATION: blind gable wall of main house with single storey wing adjoining at ground floor and forming link to 1?-storey L-plan out building with pair of round-arched windows to left and advanced gable to right (inset into hillside) with much later timber and glazed gablehead containing double door leading to decked area.
Square windows to ground floor of main house containing bipartite arch-headed lights (conventional 4-pane glazing in lower timber sashes with 5-pane Y-tracery to upper timber sashes); arched multi-paned Y-tracery lights (hinged at bottom and opening inward) to arch-gabled dormers; similar light to arched entrance bay. Pitched slate roof to main house with swept eaves supported on bracketed eaves course; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and purlins to dormer windows; piended slate roof to E wing and pitched slate roof with ridgeline ventilators to former outbuilding; all with later roll ridging (also in lieu skews to E elevation of main house). Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, concealed gutters to main elevation. Pair of tall diamond-set ashlar stalks on rectangular plinths to gableheads of main house, all with projecting neck copes and tall plain cans (some with later ventilators fitted).
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002.
Part of a B-Group with Scots Mill House. This former corn mill and miller's house are part of the wider surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished in 1958. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house is a small building (listed separately) that was formerly part of the courtyard buildings and a pond now marks the spot of the main house. The stables, lodges and walled garden are listed separately. This is the former miller's house for the Kailzie Estate. The mill is situated on the north side of the B7062 and this house opposite to the south. The mill was built at the same time as the Campbell mansion, the house a little later. The front elevation of the Miller's house is stylistically similar to the farmhouse at Kailzie Home Farm, as well as some outhouses remaining on the Kailzie estate. The mill complex was part of a group of associated buildings sited just outside the inner designed landscape of the estate on the way to Peebles. Most of the machinery has been dismantled but a relocated wheel is sited at the west-end of the mill. This dwelling house is dated 1812 and may be mentioned as a good example of "pattern-book Gothic". There have been internal alterations over the years with the addition of a porch and linking wings. The west gable of the now adjoined outbuilding (formerly storage space for the miller) is predominantly glazed and overlooks a raised seating area. Listed as a good example of a Border miller's house with many exterior features surviving; it is particularly notable for its architectural style found in Kailzie estate buildings associated with Robert Nutter Campbell.
Other nearby listed buildings