History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coatdyke, Centenary Avenue, Railway Viaduct

A Category B Listed Building in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8637 / 55°51'49"N

Longitude: -4.0024 / 4°0'8"W

OS Eastings: 274777

OS Northings: 665208

OS Grid: NS747652

Mapcode National: GBR 00HM.8V

Mapcode Global: WH4QB.HW95

Entry Name: Coatdyke, Centenary Avenue, Railway Viaduct

Listing Date: 21 August 2003

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396929

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49409

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Airdrie

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Airdrie

Description

1860-1863. Viaduct of 9 deep segmental arches (1 on high bank to E), crossing Centenary Avenue and W corner of Centenary Park. Bull-faced sandstone battered piers, voussoirs; polished ashlar impost courses and wallhead band courses below bull-faced parapet with railings. Circular iron tie-plates.

Statement of Interest

Built as part of the Bathgate and Coatbridge Railway for the Monkland Railways from Sunnyside to Armadale to link with the line from Bathgate and also spanning the South Burn (now partially submerged). Monkland Railways was formed in 1848 with the merger of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway, the Ballochney Railway and the Slamannan Railway, all of which were built to service the regional coal and iron industry. The viaduct follows the form of engineers, Thomas Grainger and John Miller's earlier designs (Hurlford, Kilmarnock), though Miller had ceased to practice by 1849. Grainger and Miller were the engineers for the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway (1823-1826). Latterly the property of the North British Railway and LNER, prior to the nationalisation of the railways, the viaduct still serves the line between Drumgelloch and Glasgow Queen Street station (2003). Coatbridge and Airdrie were once heavily industrialised communities and their history is based on the great expansion of coal mining and iron smelting during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The rail networks were extensive and responded to this great economic development. The layout of modern day Coatbridge and Airdrie is still defined by its various railway viaducts and bridges and it is their architectural design which now act as landmarks, contributing greatly to the town centre and its periphery. The viaduct at Centenary Avenue acts as a gateway feature of the area, particularly from the Coatbridge's eastern approach from Airdrie.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.