This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0758 / 57°4'32"N
Longitude: -2.8931 / 2°53'35"W
OS Eastings: 345951
OS Northings: 798660
OS Grid: NO459986
Mapcode National: GBR WM.8780
Mapcode Global: WH7NG.JDJZ
Plus Code: 9C9V34G4+8P
Entry Name: Dinnet, the Old Kirk Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 September 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396933
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49414
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1875. vestry and porch (probably) added 1890; undergoing alteration 2003; boundary walls and gatepiers added 1899. Small rectangular-plan gothic church with 3-bay nave, bellcote and part-crowstepped gables. Squared and snecked granite with ashlar dressings. Deep base and eaves courses. Shoulder-arched doors and lancet windows. Single and 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses. Hoodmoulds.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION:E (principal) elevation: symmetrical gabled elevation with triple lancet window to centre over gabled porch with small window, angle buttresses and 2-leaf timber door with decorative ironwork hinges to each return, single lancets to flanking bays and 2-stage angle buttresses beyond, that to left inscribed 'PARISH 1881'; bellcote (bell missing) piercing eaves at left and stone Celtic cross finial at gablehead. S elevation: bays to right with buttress with hand pump flanked by paired lancets below diminutive louvered triangular roof ventilators (see Notes); advanced gable of lower vestry to left, with 2 single windows and right return with door to right under roof ventilator as above and small modern rooflight, single window to left with '1890' carved on cill; left return with variety of altered openings. Further small square-headed window to outer left. W (rear)elevation: altered gabled elevation retaining outer lancets, rose window, small cruciform opening in gablehead and ironwork finial. N elevation: bays to left with 2 paired lancets flanking buttress (that to right over small basement entrance), 2 roof ventilators (see Notes) and porch to outer right with single lancet and door in return to left.
Diamond-pattern leaded windows, except to N. Red fishscale-pattern bands and grey slates with diamond-pattern leading at ridge. Ashlar-coped stepped skews with moulded skewputts at base of crowsteps.
INTERIOR: fine hammerbeam roof retained.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: granite-coped river pebble boundary walls with coped square-section ashlar gatepiers, 1 bearing monogram of 'CWB' and dated '1900' (see Notes).
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Decommissioned early 21st century. Built at a cost of £700, Dinnet was a Chapel of Ease to Aboyne Parish Church, and raised quoad sacra in 1881. The main porch is thought to be later as it matches the stone colour of the vestry which is dated 1890. A prominent benefactor of Dinnet Church was Sir William Cunliffe Brooks whose monogram appears on the gatepier as a memorial of the erection of the boundary walls, in the style of those at Aboyne Castle, in 1899. Ongoing alterations for conversion to a dwelling will incorporate the addition of sympathetic dormer windows to each side of the main roof. Prior to listing, side windows had been reduced in size and the rear windows lowered. The pews have been passed to Aboyne Parish Church.
Other nearby listed buildings