This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5979 / 56°35'52"N
Longitude: -3.3348 / 3°20'5"W
OS Eastings: 318139
OS Northings: 745911
OS Grid: NO181459
Mapcode National: GBR V8.T97D
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.RF59
Entry Name: Rattray (New), Hatton Road, Buchanan House Including Boundary Walls and Gatepier
Listing Date: 4 September 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396982
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49456
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1915. Tall single storey and attic, 7-bay, U-plan, Arts and Crafts style respite home with later lower wing, and steeply-pitched swept roofs, on ground falling steeply to W. Narrow bands of squared rubble with stugged margins and some finely droved quoins; later wing harled with ashlar dressings.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to left of centre with moulded doorcase with stylised pilasters, frieze dated '1915', cornice and deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber door; relief carved stone in gablehead above worded 'This house of recovery was founded by Emily Octavia Buchanan in memory of her husband Thomas Ryburn Buchanan MP for East Perthshire 1903-1910'; 3-part rooflight above; single window to each return and to immediately flanking bays. Further window to outer left and 3 irregular windows grouped to outer right. Lower extended wing projecting at outer left comprising variety of elements including broad chimney breast to right, return to right with advanced piended bay with large full-height window at left, ramp up to part-glazed door and plate glass fanlight immediately to right and further window to outer right.
N ELEVATION: 3 windows grouped to right and modern rooflight to stepped roof.
W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: variety of elements to largely symmetrical elevation, including conservatory and tripartite window in steeply-pitched gable to centre with tall stack immediately to right, flanking piended dormer windows and outer pavilion-type bays.
8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows, with some multi-pane glazing (possibly in casement windows) to rear. Small grey banded slates. Coped ashlar ridge stacks with tall clay cans. Overhanging eaves; bargeboarding to gables; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2002.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIER: coped rubble boundary walls and pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar gatepier.
Built as a convalescent home for soldiers injured during WWI and later for old folk from the area, Buchanan House is currently (2002) run by the Sargent Cancer Care for Children. Its distinctive character comes from the steep pitch and banded slates of its dominant roof structure.
Other nearby listed buildings