This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4659 / 57°27'57"N
Longitude: -3.3557 / 3°21'20"W
OS Eastings: 318775
OS Northings: 842549
OS Grid: NJ187425
Mapcode National: GBR L82Z.X3Y
Mapcode Global: WH6K5.FL8X
Entry Name: Knockando Woolmill Byre
Listing Date: 16 September 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396996
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49466
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Morayshire
Late 19th century. Principal byre with later byre/store adjoining at NW gable creating long, simple, rectangular-plan arrangement, various lean-to additions. Random rubble pedestal to earlier byre, timber framed with timber cladding and pitched corrugated-iron roof to both.
2 doors with 2 windows to earlier byre to SE, central door to NE. Larger window to right with central cart door to SE elevation of byre/store. Hayloft door in each outer gable. Lean-to set to NW. Full length, continuous lean-to to NE of byre/store housing sawmill. Timber boarded doors, slatted ventilation panels to lower sections of windows, glazed upper panels. Remnants of animal stalls, mangers, troughs and concrete floor slabs with drainage channels to interior.
A-Group with Knockando Woolmill, Cottage, and House. The byres are an integral and important part of the woollen mill complex at Knockando. The Mill throughout its history was run in conjunction with a small 15 acre arable croft supporting a small herd of cows. A major factor for the survival of the mill is that a living at knockando was not bound up solely with the mill, instead both mill and croft fused, creating a self-sufficient small-scale rural settlement supplying the local community. The byres are situated to the SW of the mill and follow the same line of orientation as the nearby cottage and house (see separate listings).
The principal byre appears in the above cited watercolour before the erection of the 1896 house (see separate listing). The need for improved animal husbandry and storage on the site resulted in the construction of the byre/store to the W in which a small threshing mill was sited. The drive for self-sufficiency continued with the introduction of sawmill machinery in the early 20th century, this still remains in-situ (2003). The remains of a cobbled platt is traceable to the S of the principal byre. It is of interest to note that the field layouts as shown in the 1874 Ordnance Survey Map remained the same until the croft ceased to be farmed in the 1980s. The byres are no longer used for agricultural purposes, (2003). For further information see Knockando Woolmill list description
Other nearby listed buildings