History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upper Mill Street, Millbank House Including Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in Blairgowrie And Rattray, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.593 / 56°35'34"N

Longitude: -3.3379 / 3°20'16"W

OS Eastings: 317936

OS Northings: 745367

OS Grid: NO179453

Mapcode National: GBR V8.TNHQ

Mapcode Global: WH6PF.PKP2

Entry Name: Upper Mill Street, Millbank House Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 4 September 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397016

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49483

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Craighall

Description

1839, extended to rear later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay house closing terrace to SW. Roughly coursed rubble with raised stone margins and harled porch.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Later porch with modern door to centre at ground, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration close to eaves at 1st floor, satellite dish to right.

NE ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with single window to left at each floor and further window to right at 1st floor. Asymmetrically-fenestrated lower wing to right.

Out-of-character PVCu glazing. Grey slates. Coped rubble stacks with thackstanes and cans. Ashlar-coped skews with flat skewputts.

INTERIOR: some moulded cornices; winding staircase with ironwork balusters and ball-finialled timber newel post. 2 cast-iron fireplaces, 1 with fine tiled cheeks depicting highland scene with stag. Carved timber fire surrounds to extension and further timber fire surround incorporating overmantel with mirror and Art Nouveau style detail.

Statement of Interest

Millbank house was built for William Davie an ironmonger with premises in Allan Street, but by 1841 was occupied by a writer. A branch of the Royal Bank was opened here in 1857 before moving to Allan Street in 1872.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.