This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1659 / 56°9'57"N
Longitude: -3.5799 / 3°34'47"W
OS Eastings: 301988
OS Northings: 698150
OS Grid: NT019981
Mapcode National: GBR 1S.HKQN
Mapcode Global: WH5Q9.Z8GZ
Entry Name: Powmill, Moubray Village Hall Including War Memorial and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 2 October 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397043
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49505
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Kinross-shire
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1901. Tall single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan Arts and Crafts-detailed hall with steeply-pitched swept roof. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Semicircular-pedimented, architraved and transomed window. Chamfered arrises, stone transoms and mullions, and raked cills.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: small gabled porch projecting to right of centre with diminutive round-headed bipartite window and 2-leaf boarded timber door on return to left, further bipartite window immediately to left, penultimate bay to left with 4-light transomed window breaking eaves into shaped dormerhead with tall stack rising at right and boarded timber door to outer left; further bipartite window to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: gabled elevation with large 6-light transomed window and pediment date 'AD 1901', small timber-louvered opening in gablehead.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with 4-light transomed window breaking eaves into gablehead, bipartite windows to remaining bays and tall stack wallhead between bays 1 and 2; further truncated stack to outer right.
SW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 small windows.
Mainly multi-pane leaded glazing, plate glass glazing in timber window to transomed window at SE. Small grey slates. Ashlar stacks. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR AND WAR MEMORIAL: some decorative plasterwork, boarded timber dadoes and panelled part-glazed doors. Full-width part-glazed folding timber dividing doors; corniced and panelled timber wall to SW.
Timber chimneypiece to NW rising into classical pedimented timber war memorial with 'MOUBRAY HALL MEMORIAL OF OUR OWN BOYS WHO FELL' over frieze with 6 medallions each inscribed with name of fallen; this surmounts large panel with 'ROLL OF HONOUR / POWMILL DISTRICT AND THOSE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS HALL WHO SERVED WITH THE ARMED FORCES OF THE CROWN DURING THE WAR 1914 - 1918' and names of fallen with further inscription at bottom right 'FOSSOWAY WAR MEMORIAL PANEL'.
BOUNDARY WALLS: flat-coped rubble boundary walls (lowered?) with truncated flat-coped, square-section ashlar and rubble gatepiers.
J J Moubray of Naemoor Estate is noted in his obituary as "a distinguished agriculturalist, and generous benefactor". He became a member of Kinross County Council in 1889 and retired 1925. He was also Lord Lieutenant of Kinross-shire.