This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9477 / 55°56'51"N
Longitude: -3.1778 / 3°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 326541
OS Northings: 673366
OS Grid: NT265733
Mapcode National: GBR 8RH.SD
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.5R0S
Entry Name: Holyrood Park, Dumbiedykes Lodge
Listing Date: 7 October 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397047
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49510
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1903. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan crowstepped Scots Renaissance lodge, situated at Dumbiedykes entrance to Holyrood Park. Squared and snecked bull-faced pink sandstone with polished red sandstone margins. Entrance elevation to S with central, single storey, corniced entrance porch in re-entrant angle; 2-leaf timber boarded entrance door with roll-moulded surround and date inscription AD 1903 above. Gable to left with canted bay window to ground. Round-arched dormer breaking eaves to right with inscription ER. Single storey, lean-to to rear (N).
Predominantly 8- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Graded green slates. Corniced wallhead stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
Situated at the Dumbiedykes entrance to Holyrood Park, this Lodge is well-detailed and colourful with its contrasting red sandstone and green slates. The crow-stepped gables and roll-moulded doorway as well as the round-headed dormer are all characteristic of the revival of Scots Renaissance architecture and add considerably to the character of the Park. This design distinguishes it from the other earlier, more Picturesque lodges around the Park. This Lodge was built during Edward VII's reign, whereas Duddingston, Meadowbank, St Leonard's and Holyrood (see separate listings) were all erected during the reign of Queen Victoria when Prince Albert began to landscape the Park.
The grounds known as Holyrood Park had been associated with the Scottish royal household since the 12th century, and were extended to roughly their present boundaries in 1541-2 by James V. The rights of the Earl of Haddington as hereditary keeper of the Park were bought out in 1843, after Queen Victoria's first visit to the Palace in 1842, bringing it again under Royal control. In 1855-8, at the instigation of Prince Albert, plans were drawn up for the landscaping of the Park. Bogs were drained, Dunsapie and St Margaret's Lochs were formed, the Queen's Drive (originally Victoria Road) was constructed, and lodges built by Robert Matheson, who also executed work at Holyrood Palace during the same period. Albert also intended to build a rustic thatched restaurant at Dunsapie Loch, but this plan was abandoned in the face of stout public opposition. With the exception of the occupied buildings, including the lodges, the Park is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
List description revised as part of the Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings