This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.942 / 55°56'31"N
Longitude: -3.1501 / 3°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 328263
OS Northings: 672701
OS Grid: NT282727
Mapcode National: GBR 8YK.FG
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.LX55
Entry Name: Holyrood Park, Duddingston (South) Lodge, 32, Old Church Lane
Listing Date: 7 October 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397048
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49511
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
1858, Robert Matheson, with later alterations and additions. Single storey and attic T-plan gothic lodge. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings. Base course. Stone skews with gabletted skewers and kneelers;
S ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to right with 3-light window to ground, 2-light window in gable and blind arrowslit above. Pitch-roofed porch to left with timber boarded door to left in chamfered Tudor-arched surround.
W ELEVATION: single storey gabled projection to right with single window to ground and inscription panel (VR 1858) above. Advanced gabled bay to left with 3-light window to ground, 2-light window in gable and blind arrowslit above. Narrow window in intervening bay.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-light window to right, narrow window to left, narrow window in lean-to to outer left.
E ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with 2-light window in gable and blind arrowslit above; pitch-roofed single storey extension to ground.
Modern glazing. Graded at ridge blue/grey slates. Corniced stacks and wallhead to SE with corniced diamond flues and circular cans.
The grounds known as Holyrood Park had been associated with the Scottish royal household since the 12th century, and were extended to roughly their present boundaries in 1541-2 by James V. The rights of the Earl of Haddington as hereditary keeper of the Park were bought out in 1843, after Queen Victoria's first visit to the Palace in 1842, bringing it again under Royal control. In 1855-8, at the instigation of Prince Albert, plans were drawn up for the landscaping of the Park. Bogs were drained, Dunsapie and St Margaret's Lochs were formed, the Queen's Drive (originally Victoria Road) was constructed, and lodges built by Robert Matheson, who also executed work at Holyrood Palace during the same period. Albert also intended to build a rustic thatched restaurant at Dunsapie Loch, but this plan was abandoned in the face of stout public opposition, including letters to the Scotsman. The Park is managed on behalf of the Crown by Historic Scotland; with the exception of the occupied buildings, including the lodges, the Park is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments Act. All the Park lodges have recently been renovated by Historic Scotland (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings