This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9831 / 55°58'59"N
Longitude: -3.6793 / 3°40'45"W
OS Eastings: 295321
OS Northings: 677957
OS Grid: NS953779
Mapcode National: GBR 1P.W1DC
Mapcode Global: WH5R1.GW54
Plus Code: 9C7RX8MC+77
Entry Name: Lathallan House, Ivy Cottage
Listing Date: 15 October 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397071
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49524
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Lower Braes
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Thomas Hamilton, 1826. Ruinous single storey and attic stable and cottage with courtyard in plain Tudor style. Squared rubble with droved ashlar dressings. Deep base course and eaves course. Corbelled dormer gablets. Hoodmoulds; voussoirs.
S ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with 2 lancets giving way to stone dormer gablet with barred round-headed opening at wallhead, and slightly advanced gabled bay to right with part-blocked single window, gablehead detail obscured by vegetation.
W ELEVATION: advanced piended bay to right with wallhead gablet as above and return to left with 2-leaf boarded timber door to broad segmental arch. Recessed bays with door and flanking windows to stable retaining ball-finialled trevises with cast-iron railings, tiled walls and moulded cornices. Variety of openings to largely derelict bays to left.
E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: altered openings to ruined elevation.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with window at each floor and screen wall to outer right, recessed blank wall to left.
Evidence of timber sash and case windows. Grey slates in places. Shouldered coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews with flat skewputts.
Lathallan House, formerly known as Laurence (or Lawrence) Park, was built in 1826 and designed by Thomas Hamilton. Ivy Cottage, sited to the SE of the house, was seriously damaged by vandalism and fire in the late 20th century: it is listed for its group value. The Walled Garden and Power House are also listed separately and part of the B Group with the house.
Other nearby listed buildings