This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3023 / 57°18'8"N
Longitude: -3.6734 / 3°40'24"W
OS Eastings: 299270
OS Northings: 824762
OS Grid: NH992247
Mapcode National: GBR K99F.20Y
Mapcode Global: WH5JN.JQZB
Entry Name: Dulnain Bridge, Skye of Curr Hotel (Formerly Tigh-Na-Sgiadh) Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers to Se
Listing Date: 4 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397075
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49528
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Early 1900s. Large villa built in the style of a late 19th century shooting lodge (known to have functioned as such in the mid 20th century), many fine inter-war internal features remaining. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay square-plan (SE) principal block with corner turret and (NE) 2-storey service wing.
Coursed, tooled granite to principal elevations, snecked rubble granite to remaining, polished sandstone dressings, battered base course, corniced cill course to 1st floor of (SE) principal elevation. Timber sash and case windows with multi- paned upper sashes some set within bipartite mullioned openings. Pitched grey slate roofs with bracketted overhanging eaves, bargeboarded to gables. Corniced sandstone gable apex stacks with circular cans.
Notable features include: near symmetrical principal (SE) garden elevation; narrow recessed central bay incorporating large segmental-arched entrance with timber and glass screen, gabled stone dormerhead breaking eaves. Slightly advanced gabled wings flanking, tripartite mullioned box window at ground left, small bipartite round-arched windows in gableheads. 2-storey polygonal spired turret to S corner crowned by weather-vane, predominantly sandstone with moulded geometric eaves cornice. SW elevation; gabled dormerheads breaking eaves to main elevation and service wing recessed at left. Crenellated porch in re-entrant angle, timber boarded door, strap hinges, viewing panel with ornamental grille. NW elevation; bipartite mullioned stair window over porch, single storey gabled outshot with timber-boarded addition. NE elevation; gable of principal range to left, service wing extending to right, gabled dormerheads breaking eaves. Large modern metal fire escape to service wing accessing former 1st floor window and dormered door at attic of principal block. Stone flat-roofed former larder with crenellated parapet leading off from service wing.
INTERIOR: main hall and vestibule to rear (NW): timber
panelling with dentilled corniced plate shelf, simple stone chimneypiece with unusual panelled metal grate, timber dog-leg stair with timber newel posts and balusters. Principal rooms to ground floor; timber floor boards laid in geometric patterns with recessed areas accommodating carpet, various simple 1930s stone chimneypieces, principal window openings flanked by finialled barley-twist timber colonettes, decorative cornices throughout. Service bell-pushes to most rooms, service indicator board to kitchen. 1st floor: Art Deco green bathroom; large stylised bath with matching sink and toilet, vitrolite panels to walls with patterned decorative glass detailing framing both bath and sink, black and white geometric patterned floor
detailing remaining under carpet (2003), black skirting boards. Stylised Art Deco timber chimneypiece to master bedroom at 1st floor with white and black inlay and brushed steel grate, decorative tiled fireplaces to bedrooms including one with Oriental figures. Majority of grates to chimneypieces at ground and 1st floor marked with stamp of Bratt, Colbran & Co, London. Bedrooms to attic.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS TO SE: low granite retaining wall to roadside, pair of capped granite gatepiers.
Tigh-na-Sgiadh was built as a holiday house for the Mackenzie family. The house does not appear on the 1903 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map however the owner recalls that the deeds date it to being built around 1905. The Church of Scotland newsletter of 1991 records the cost of building as #1200. It is thought that in the
1930s the house was
bought by the jam-manufacturing Hartley family, and used as a shooting lodge. The remodelling of the interior at this time gives the building particular interest with many features surviving, including an Art Deco bathroom and an assortment of fireplaces. In the 1960s, the building was converted to an hotel and remains in this use today. The garden was once notable for its specimen trees, some of which still remain (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings