History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pirnmill, Church of Scotland (Former Free Church)

A Category C Listed Building in Ardrossan and Arran, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6496 / 55°38'58"N

Longitude: -5.3805 / 5°22'49"W

OS Eastings: 187395

OS Northings: 644746

OS Grid: NR873447

Mapcode National: GBR FF3S.663

Mapcode Global: WH1MF.B828

Entry Name: Pirnmill, Church of Scotland (Former Free Church)

Listing Date: 13 November 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397083

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49535

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmory

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ardrossan and Arran

Traditional County: Buteshire

Find accommodation in
Pirnmill

Description

Circa 1920. Small, rectangular-plan corrugated-iron single storey pitched-roofed church set back from main Arran road in field. Half-timbered gables; 3 bays to W elevation plus gabled vestry projecting to outer R with timber boarded door in re-entrant angle. Gabled vestibule to N with 2-leaf boarded W-facing door. Grey painted corrugated-iron; green painted timber to gables; white painted fenestration and green painted concrete basecourse.

Timber top-hopper windows; 2-pane lower sections, 6-pane upper. Asbestos roof tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: good original typically plain scheme in place. Lined throughout with boarded yellow pine; kingpost roof structure. Timber panelled door from vestibule to central aisle; timber bench pews either side with upholstered cushions; pulpit (slightly altered) on raised platform. Timber panelled part-glazed vestry door.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building, still in use as such and intact. Erected by the Free Church of Scotland circa 1920 probably as a church hall, the building served the Free Church congregation who had worshipped at Lenimore until the church there was demolished. The Church of Scotland leased the building from the Free Church in the early 1990s. The Church of Scotland had worshipped in the nearby former Church of Scotland, Pirnmill (separately listed) until it closed. This prefabricated church is of a type manufactured by companies such as Spiers & Co of Glasgow and Charles D Young & Co of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and London, specialising in temporary buildings that were quick and cheap to erect. Models such as halls, schools and churches in various sizes and patterns could be ordered from catalogues. Once relatively common in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, these structures, due to their intended temporary nature are becoming rare. It is unusual to find such a building in its original condition being used for its intended purpose. The church also contributes to the 'vernacular' character of the island's buildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.